USMC Virtual Campaign Library: Haiti 1915 -1934

Dirk

Have you joined ancestry.com? If so you can see copies of the original muster rolls with his name in it. Here's one from May 1920:

post-214-1234719746.jpg

I have not joined ancestry.com. I have copies of his service record, scans of his discharge papers that my Aunt has (or should I say cousin).

I'm not sure what I'd gain from that site. Has it worked for you? Maybe it's something I should check on. I'm just so darn cheap..... lol

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Marines training on Colts automatic Machine Gun

post-4767-1234732213.jpg

No idea who this guy is, but my family's kept his picture for 90 plus years.. :blink:

post-4767-1234732353.jpg

Two marines

post-4767-1234732453.jpg

Prison at Ouanaminthe Haiti (and you wondered what the "new" prison would look like when you saw the earlier post) think.gif

post-4767-1234736471.jpg

scene near carice (and Haiti hasnt changed since this was taken)

post-4767-1234736610.jpg

Marines checking locals land for contraband

post-4767-1234736786.jpg

Guys, this is my last set of pictures to post to this tread. I hope you've enjoyed looking at them as much as I have again and if you have any pictures from the marines between 8/1916 and 2/1917 please share them with me.

These last few are not of Haiti, but were in the shoebox with all my granddads pictures and were part of his carribean experience.

Thanks for looking.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Fleets Flags at half-mast in honor of death of Admiral Dewey

post-4767-1234737095.jpg

Jupiter Close up

post-4767-1234737190.jpg

Jupiters Mascot

post-4767-1234737279.jpg

US Fleet passing St Thomas

post-4767-1234737384.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Jeb, really pleased to see more of their camp and patrols... these early Haiti pictues are seldom seen. Hopefully the originals will come to you some day. I took the liberty of working with one of these photographs - I am inclined to believe this may be a picture of the Detachment Paymaster hard at work... think.gif

post_4767_1234718765.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Jon, here is another that I just could not resist looking closer at - no doubt that girl is Caucasian - with four Marines. I wonder some... about the other two without campaign hats think.gif

post_4767_1234731927.jpg

Now, taking a left turn here. My Granddad got a Marine expeditionary medal for his tour in Haiti. Sort of. HE never received it.

One day in 2003 my Mother went to the mail box and there was a package from the records department. Apparently my brother researching family history had sent off for his service record. The records department reviewed his record and sent a package to my mother with a Purple Heart, Marine Expeditionary Medal, WW1 Victory Medal, and WW1 occupation medal. Medals he was entitled to but never received. My Mom has since passed away, but that was a pretty special day for her.

Anyhow, back to the original subject at hand, My vote is to merge. The truth is I just wanted to share my Granddads pictures with people who appreciate them as much as I do. But with your help, and the help of the members of this forum, we could really have something great on the Marines during this time frame.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

teufelhunde.ret

A few new images I have come accross:

Marines Marching in Haiti: Original caption: 7/18/1934-Haiti- U.S. Marines on the march in Haiti, where their early campaigns of 1915 and 1917 are now only a memory, after nineteen years of service in that republic. Practically all of the military activities of the country are now performed by the Garde d'Haiti, or native police, trained by the Marines to take over the work of policing the country after they leave on August 15th.

Image © Bettmann/Corbus

Original_caption_7.18.1934.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Marines Boarding U.S.S.Connecticut. Original caption: U.S Marines Sail for Haiti. Marines boarding the U.S.S. Connecticut at League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia, July 31, 1915 when 500 marines sailed for Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to aid Admiral Caperton's men in disarming the unruly natives.

Image © Bettmann/CORBIS

haiti.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Marines Guard Haitian Prisoners. Feb 25, 1920 American Marines guard Haitian outlaws they captured outside Port-au-Prince. The United States had invaded Haiti in 1915 to restore order and to protect U.S. interests in Haiti. Image © Bettmann/CORBIS

American_Marines_guard_Haitian_outlaws_they_captured_outside_Port_au_Prince._Feb_25_1920.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

American Marines In Haiti In 1915: Original caption: 1915-Haiti- American Marines entrenched behind sandbags defending the gate at Cape Hatian. Note The machine gun firing through the loophole in the stone wall to the left. Image © Bettmann/CORBIS

wall.jpg