B-17 flight gear question

steamer98

My great uncle was a waist gunner on a B-17 during WW2. He was in the 8th air force 92nd BG 327th Squadron and was a staff sergeant. I am trying to collect items that he would have used during his time in the service. He flew missions up until August 17th 1943 when his B-17 was shot down over Germany on a mission to Bomb Schweinfurt and the Ball Bearing Factory there. He spent the remaining years of the war in a POW camp. His name was Steven Solga. My question is what type of flight jacket would a waist gunner have been wearing in August of 1943, did the use the A-2 on missions or would they have worn the B-3? Any info would be great!! Thanks! Also if anyone has any info on my great uncle (probably a long shot) that would be great!

My point for this question is I would like to get either an original or replica flight jacket that he would have used. Does anyone know of some good US made repros?

In general, bomber gunners wore sheepskin flight jackets (and trousers, if warranted by temperature). The specific model of jacket would vary some, dependent on what was available in the supply system; personal preference; unit SOP.

Pilots more frequently wore the A-2, though sheepskins were available, as the bulk of the sheepskins was a disadvantage and the cockpit areas were adequately heated, unlike the gunners' "offices".

Steamer, I believe your uncle was on the crew of Lt. J.D. Stewart when he was shot down. The aircraft he was assigned to was B-17F #42-29853. The missing Aircrew Report MACR is #653. Hope this gives you a little helpful information. I would also agree with the wearing of the B-3 jacket, as the B-17F had the open windows in the waist. Most gunners also wore the 'Blue Bunny' heated flying-suit. Good luck, Mark

Wow! Thanks for the info I'll see if I can track down a copy of that report! Now to find a B-3!! thumbsup.gif

Steamer, I believe your uncle was on the crew of Lt. J.D. Stewart when he was shot down. The aircraft he was assigned to was B-17F #42-29853. The missing Aircrew Report MACR is #653. Hope this gives you a little helpful information. I would also agree with the wearing of the B-3 jacket, as the B-17F had the open windows in the waist. Most gunners also wore the 'Blue Bunny' heated flying-suit. Good luck, Mark

My grandfather was a waist gunner on a B-17 as well. He wore the sheepskin, here is a picture of the gear that I have collected based off his pictures. Still looking to find gloves, boots, and mask. The parachute is incorrect, the waist gunners wore a gunners harness that they could attache a bail-out chute to, but it was all I had. He traded his B8 goggles for a pair from a fighter pilot. Said he hated them and regretted the deal, but was to proud to admit it, so he stuck to them. He said they leaked wind like a sieve

2u8jsjm.jpg

Great photo and info!!

My grandfather was a waist gunner on a B-17 as well. He wore the sheepskin, here is a picture of the gear that I have collected based off his pictures. Still looking to find gloves, boots, and mask. The parachute is incorrect, the waist gunners wore a gunners harness that they could attache a bail-out chute to, but it was all I had. He traded his B8 goggles for a pair from a fighter pilot. Said he hated them and regretted the deal, but was to proud to admit it, so he stuck to them. He said they leaked wind like a sieve

2u8jsjm.jpg