Model 1916 Coincidence Rangefinder help

bheskett

I picked up a 1918 dated rangefinder complete with tripod.

1940s-bausch-lomb-military-base_1_beae2c

This is not mine but a picture from worthpoint. Mine does not have the cases. Does anyone have a set of instructions for this thing. I am not a member of worthpoint and if someone could look it up and let me know what it sold for and when it sold that would be cool. I imagine it is worth more than the $100.00 I paid.

Thanks Bob

The item pictured above sold as follows:

1940's BAUSCH & LOMB MILITARY BASE RANGEFINDER MODEL 1916 no419

Sold For: $268.17 USD - Date: 5/20/2014 2PM - Channel: Online Auction - Source: eBay

Category: Scientific-Medical - Original Category: Collectibles : Science & Medicine (1930-Now) : Scientific Instruments : Microscopes, Lab Equipment

This is a military base range finder from the 1940's. it is excellent condition . it is marked on top on a metal plate, Base range finder, Model number 1916 num 419, BAUSCH & LOMB OPT CO. It comes with an adjustable tripod stand made of oak marked type U, the pod is also In excellent condition. Along with both these pieces comes the original carrying cases made of leather. In one of the cases it does have a lath adjustment type C and an extra optical piece. If you have any questions please e-mail.

You're welcome. Yes, I'd say it definitely is worth $100. Congrats!

Is the one you purchased the exact same model, that is, a Bausch & Lomb Model 1916 No. 419?

I didn't look that close but the tag reads model 1916 and dated 1918. It looks like the same thin both the rangefinder itself and the tripod. I am pretty stoked about it. I would assume the older ones are a bit tougher to find. A lady I work with had it laying around her house. I think it came from her Father in LAws estate who collected odds and ends not necessarily military, over the years.

Ok. The reason I ask is because there's another range finder very similar to the one you pictured that's made by Barr & Stroud in WW1 called an FJ27 RangeFinder MK2 1916. When you get a chance, check and make sure which one you have. Those Barr & Stroud's have sold for even more. Plus, when it comes to some sort of manual, it'll make a difference on which one it is for sure. Let us know.

Thanks I will check it when I get home in a couple hours. I will take a close look.

Here is a photo (lifted off the 'net) of the US device being used during WW2. It has a monocular eyepiece. I seem to recall the B&S scopes were binocular?

post-200450-0-61648800-1542145906.jpg

It looks like the one in the WWI pic above and the tag reads

Base Range Finder

Model of 1916

No. 1053

Bauch and Lomb Opt Co.

1918 RCG

Google search for:

TM 9-1585 Range Finders, 1-Meter Base and 80 cm Base, All Types, May 23, 1941

I have downloaded a PDF file for the manual and tried to post a direct link but can't get it to load up. PM sent to bheskett with the link.

Tom

• 2 months later...

I have read -The 80 cm was to be used for machine guns in WW1, so I have one as part of the equipment on my 1917 MG cart. Also I have found that BC scopes are easier to find than the correct tripod and cases.

Illinigander