The Old Breed

usmce4

After watching "The Pacific" many times and reading all the smaller books about the 1st Marine Division I finally splurged and bought a first edition copy of "The Old Breed" (McMillan).

I'm only just getting into it, but I'm enjoying it. It's so far got a lot of interesting facts I never knew, for example, they had barely more than one month from the time they were ordered to invade Guadalcanal to the invasion date. That they managed that is in itself is an amazing accomplishment.

It's loaded with amusing anecdotes too.

Did anybody else enjoy it?

Art

Yeah, that's a great book. Id recommend picking the books for the other 5 divisions too if you get the chance. They are invaluable for a USMC historian.

You just reminded me I still really need to read this. I got a copy just a short while ago as a gift. I've always heard it's one of the greatest books you can read for not just WWII USMC, but in US military in general.

• 2 weeks later...

That book is awesome. One of the best WWII books written. I liked it so much, I had to find a first edition myself. I actually found one that was signed personally by Eugene Sledge. I don't think there were that many books printed in the first edition, I think they are some what rare. Nobody ever thought that book would become part of a 10 part mini series.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, that's a great book. Id recommend picking the books for the other 5 divisions too if you get the chance. They are invaluable for a USMC historian.

Agreed, I have all 6 first editions. Great reading and well worth the investment.