Pennsylvania Mexican Border Service Medal - were all numbered medals issued?

Packard1969

Hi all!

Wasnt quite sure how to title this question!

What I'm trying to ask is this...

There seem to be quite a few of the above medals available online (predomenently starting with 15- - -). I'm assuming that they're unissued (all have their boxes and all appear in great condition), and I'd be grateful if someone might be able to confirm (or disprove) my thoughts?

Regarding tracing the numbers on this medal, I'm aware that the Mexican Border Campaign Veteren's Files are available online through the Pennsylvania State Archives, but the quality is pretty poor and with little chance of locating a medal number by using these. Is there another way of doing so? Have these been indexed perhaps, similar to the NY State Issued medals?

Thanks for your help!

Shawn

Hello Shawn,

I live in Pennsylvania and I can confirm that there was a large surplus of PANG WWI AND PANG MBS medals located around the late 1990’s. These medals were made by a private jeweler named Davidson, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Not sure about researching these medals. I have two or three groups to research myself.

Best of luck.

Rocco

Thanks Rocco,

That answers my question - perhaps I'll hang on just a little longer and find a lower numbered one!

The Pennsylvania MBS medal cards are available on the Pennsylvania Archives web site. Unfortunately, the numbers on the cards on the site are not always clear enough to read. However, I've had access to the Archives and made a stab at a roll. I can track many of the numbers below 12,200.

The Pennsylvania MBS medal cards are available on the Pennsylvania Archives web site. Unfortunately, the numbers on the cards on the site are not always clear enough to read. However, I've had access to the Archives and made a stab at a roll. I can track many of the numbers below 12,200.

Thanks Jeff

Like you, I discovered the low res scanning of the cards (and in black and white only) has meant that the numbers are, in many cases illegible. A similar problem was encountered with many of the original digital scans of the surviving British WW1 Service Records which were available through Ancestry. On rescanning in colour and in higher res (and initially made available on findmypast) the differences were immeasurable. Maybe one day the MBS Cards will be rescanned.

Thanks for the heads-up ref checking many numbers below 12,200 - all I need to now is find an appropriately numbered one!

• 3 years later...

If anyone is interested I tried to compile a listing by name,  as noted above some numbers are very hard to read.     I will add this to this forum when I get a chance.  Meanwhile if you want a number searched let me know.  

Im searching myself for # 6947  and  # 1161