26th series Type 38 Arisaka in GI shipping crate w/ original packing material

chils123

I won this from an auction several weeks ago and it finally arrived this afternoon. This crate set is now one of my favorites I own with some unique features.
First, the rifle is a 26th series Type 38 in likely unissued condition. It's still covered in grease from either the arsenal or when the GI coated it to ship home. Oddly enough the floor plate seems to be a few numbers off, so I'm wondering if it was mis stamped. Just a ground mum on this one, with the bluing still really nice and many straw colored parts. Came with a nice bayonet and some other militaria I'm not familiar with.
The crate itself was shipped home by a member of the 98th Division, which is interesting in that I own another example of a crate shipped back by someone from this division. This division was lucky in that at the end of the war they were training for the invasion of Japan, which obviously never happened. Instead they saw occupation duty and were stationed in Osaka in October 1945.
That leads into the next neat thing about this set, as the original packing material still seems to be in there. Much of it is composed of new papers dated from October 1945. Really neat to see that still in the crate, and clearly this was untouched after the war.
Overall I'm glad I was able to grab this one, though it cost a bit more than I usually pay for these sets.
Enjoy the photos!
IMG-3925.jpg
IMG-3926.jpg
IMG-3927.jpg
IMG-3928.jpg
IMG-3932.jpg
IMG-3933.jpg
IMG-3934.jpg
IMG-3909.jpg
IMG-3910.jpg
IMG-3912.jpg

post-175636-0-12575000-1541877742_thumb.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

Do you have a production date for that excellent rifle? My type 38 rifle came out of Burma.......enough said !

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see this pop back up, because it's one of my favorite crate sets I own.

what do you like to collect in vet returned shipping crates?Just firearms?Kev

I've looked for other things but don't across as much. I've wanted a Type 30 bayonet in a box for awhile, but never see them come up.

That is a super nice set all in all. A Google search revealed that it appears he is / was a Doctor, at least post-war. Wonder if he was a Doctor during the war too?