USS UTAH & Memorial

West-Front

Hi All

I thought these might be of interest, I was fortunate enough last month to see the US Utah memorial on Ford Island.

I hope the photos are of interest

Cheers

Cam

post-2577-1228803761.jpg

post-2577-1228803786.jpg

Its nice you were able to visit the Utah memorial. Tourists are not allowed out there normally because it is on Ford Island and still an active Navy Base. Once in a while tour buses going out to the USS Missouri or the new Air Museum will drive by it.

Kurt

Salvage Sailor

For every ten thousand visitors who tour the Arizona Memorial I'll wager only one sees the wreck of the Utah, a mere hundreds of yards away.

Hi, Neat photo--thanks for sharing. Here is a 1935 view of the Utah's fantail. This old picture comes from my web site and that's my dad in the background. I have no idea who furball was.

Best wishes, Jim

post-397-1228850907.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

My friend who took my wife and I over to Ford Island is a retired USMC Colonel, he now works for the Armed Forces YMCA. So we were very fortunate that we were able to see the USS Utah.

As you say they don't allow movement there for Tourists other than the shuttle bus to the USS Missouri and the Pacific Air Museum ( which i can recommend as very good too BTW). I fully understand the need for security of course.

My friend also took us to a small memorial on Ford Island opposite the USS Arizona, which I was really taken with, definately something about that area for me, a really solemn place with the trees and the waters edge, looking out towards the memorial,

post-2577-1228865272.jpg

its nice to see Utah finally getting a decent viewing platform. Last time I was there about 5 years ago you just had to walk out over the grass to the beach. I always thought Utah deserved better than that.

• 3 months later...

Thank you West-Front for posting this thread and pics, it brought back some memories.

When I was a young marine staioned in Hawaii in the 80's I was privileged with the honor of pulling morning and evening colors at the U.S.S. Utah memorial on that little concrete gangway.

She was a mighty ship with a proud crew and will not be forgotten...