1943 Wooden Packboard

36thIDAlex

I found this in a local shop today for a little less than $20. I figured to take a chance on it especially with the manufacturing stamp. I just haven’t come across one of these before and was wondering what exactly it is and what’s the best way of going about restoring/ what additional items are needed to prep it for display condition? The only major problem with it is a tear on the back but I would like to sew it up and was wondering what the best way and material would be to go about doing that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tear I would like to try and fix

Posted Image

Earlier one, might want to just leave it alone. Unlaceing may do more damage and attempting to sew matching canvass may also rip it. Look for pics in many good WWII reference books. BTW, good price even damaged.

I totally agree with the advice.This pre-dates the next type in line, which is almost identical except for two exceptions, the later pattern had a fold down wooden tray and a back canvas panel that did not fold around. Jack

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Doesn't look like a rip from wear, looks like the cloth is getting old and weak. I bet if you sewed it up and laced it back up so it was taught it would probably rip again somewhere else.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it and will be leaving it as it is. I will however try to complete the set with the proper bags. What reference books or threads would be best for figuring that out?