Interesting 78th ID Painted Helmet Portrait Photo

Eric Queen

I thought this was interesting for a couple of reasons. First, you don't (or at least I don't) see a lot of portrait photos of the Haley liner in wear and, second, I think most painted 78th helmets I have see have had the insignia painted on the side and not the front. I guess the ASF patch would match the ordnance collar insignia which was most likely a post hostilities role.

Am I correct in regard to the side vs front (for the 78th) or is that observation unique to me?

Thanks

78 helmet0005.jpg

Moonlight Gecko

Here is a picture of 78th Inf Div soldiers with the insignia on the front of their LINERS during the Occupation of Germany. I have seen some examples of the 78th marked on the side of HELMETS. Maybe it was a mixture of both in the division? If you can, can you post some pictures of the markings on the side? Also, just a thought, but with the lack of the red backing and the ASF patch maybe the lightning bolt is a marking for another unit?

post-339-0-04510700-1541546386_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of 78th Inf Div soldiers with the insignia on the front of their LINERS during the Occupation of Germany. I have seen some examples of the 78th marked on the side of HELMETS. Maybe it was a mixture of both in the division? If you can, can you post some pictures of the markings on the side? Also, just a thought, but with the lack of the red backing and the ASF patch maybe the lightning bolt is a marking for another unit?

Was thinking the same.Lightning may be unrelated.Im thinking the photo is maybe a early war photo

Thanks for the comments and the thoughts on this. Cannot really tell from the photo if there is a background or not. I guess I just assumed it was the 78th because I could not think of anything else it could be.

Does anyone know which unit a thunder bolt alone could represent? 550 PIR? ..... LOL

• 2 months later...

My instant impression was that this is not a 78th. The guys above above are correct in that lots of photos show the 78th division insignia being worn variously on the front and sides of the helmet and liners during the occupation period. Blowing this image up, there is no suggestion of a background at all. I might throw out for consideration that the Army Service Forces Western Pacific patch is the ASF design with addition of a bolt of lightning. Wild rump guess, but food for thought...