Republic of Korea Service Medal (post war)

oakleaf777

Medal collectors-

I am looking for information on a medal created by the Republic of Korea for U.S. military personnel serving in S. Korea. This particular medal is not the U.S. issued Korean War service medal, the UN Korean War medal, or the more recent KDSM. The medal I am asking about was apparently created after the Korean War, however the US military blocked it from issued to U.S. personnel.

Does anyone have any images of this medal or own one? Are there even any that still exist?

Thanks

Hello,

I think you are referring to the 6.25 incident medal aka the Korean war medal. I have attached a picture from the one given to the Dutch army in 1954.

Kind regards

Sampo

post-152919-0-05084600-1541512602.jpg

Thanks for your response. The medal pictured below is the actual one I am asking about. I believe it is for service in the period from the end of the Korean War through the present:

post-160238-0-60641300-1541520074.gif

This picture of a British medal group was pictured a few years back in the Britse on line newspaper Daily Mail. Usd Google type "British medal group" and you quickly have the article.

This veteran served in Korea for a while long after the 1950-54 war.

post-104867-0-34341500-1541531950_thumb.jpg

Regards

Herman

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your response. The medal pictured below is the actual one I am asking about. I believe it is for service in the period from the end of the Korean War through the present:

Thanks! Were you ever able to find a "mini" version of the medal? If so, where? Curious. Thanks again.

This Republic of Korea medal was offered in the 1970s, I believe, to the US government to be presented to US military personnel for service in the ROK after the Korean War. The Department of Defense declined. Some were actually prepared with certificates for award to US Army soldiers, but they were impounded by the Army. I don't know how many or where most ended up. I may be able to get images of one of the medals and certificate.