New tank / military vehicle museum - Hudson Mass.

john k

A Panther? An ME-109G? These guys are not fooling around, are they?

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/american-heritage-museum/american-heritage-museum-artifact-list/

Much of this came from the famed Jaques M.Littlefield Collection, which was in private ownership and rarely seen. Well maintained and preserved, there was a fear that it would be scattered to the four winds when put up for auction after Littlefield passed away. Looks like the Collings foundation obtained the majority of it and finally have it ready to display.

From their website:

"The American Heritage Museum featuring the Jacques M. Littlefield Collection of Tanks and Armor is opening for a limited preview period from October 6th, 2018 through November 25th, 2018. During this period, the major artifacts of the Littlefield Collection will be on display, but much of the smaller artifacts, graphic and multimedia displays, gift shop, and select larger artifacts are a work-in-progress.

As a result, we will be offering reduced price admission for those wishing to get a sneak-peek of the American Heritage Museum during this preview period. The American Heritage Museum preview will also be open during the Battle for the Airfield WWII Re-Enactment on October 6th and 7th as part of the combined admission. The staff are working hard in preparation for a Grand Opening of all exhibits in April 2019."

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/american-heritage-museum/

As I recall, it all went to Collings and they sold off a few things to afford it all... but I could be wrong. That's how I read it when I was drooling over the auction vehicles!

The chieftain fellow that does tank videos in addition to being the head researcher for World of Tanks did an unofficial tour on YouTube weeks back. Was very, very cool, and he got into detail with the story behind the Abrams.

• 1 year later...

I made my first visit to the American Heritage Museum this past February and was amazed by what they had on display.

Here are some overall photos I took from my visit that I thought I'd share.

• 3 months later...
Persian Gulf Command

I just visited the Museum of American Heritage in Hudson, MA (not in Stow, MA which is the next town over).  This museum is a 20 minute drive west of Boston.  IMNO, it is the best Armored Vehicle Museum in the U.S.  If you want to see the most important WW2 Allied (U.S. British, Russian) armor, its in their new exhibition building.  There are also some nice German vehicles as well.  Also, are US AFV that represent post WW2 up to the Gulf War  Its a new facility (est. 1018) with great displays and presentations that feel like you are in the Smithsonian.

On of the guides on the floor told me that they were just donated a WW1 fighter plane collection and will be breaking ground for a new building to display these aircraft in a year or two.  So this location is looking to become even more significant.  One more attribute is you are able to walk up and touch their displays and many of the hatches are open so you have a view inside many of the vehicles. 

16 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

On of the guides on the floor told me that they were just donated a WW1 fighter plane collection and will be breaking ground for a new building to display these aircraft in a year or two.  So this location is looking to become even more significant.  

Well I definitely be looking forward to that! Hopefully it comes to fruition. I'm still upset that another local WWII museum down the road in Natick closed without any notice last year. For a while they were raising money for a new larger building too.

Persian Gulf Command

Apparently this museum has a benefactor with "deep pockets" so I expect it to last and grow with time.  I'm going again this Friday with a few friends whose interests were piqued by my impressions.  I'll try to get some more information about the WW1 aircraft and other plans.

That's good to know. I'm overdue myself for another visit and hope to go back in the next couple weeks. It's a good place to go to avoid crowds and also the heat.

Persian Gulf Command

I went again on Friday with another long time friend.  There were very few people there so the staff was exceptionally helpful and willing to practically give you a guided tour.  Here are some bits of information I obtained.

They are going to break ground on a new building dedicated to military aviation.  There is an airfield located on their 100 acre property and are putting the "wheels in motion" to have an operational B-17.  They are currently working on an M10 Tank Destroyer to have for driving/riding experiences in addition to the M4 Sherman and M24 Chaffee that are curranty being offered.  The German Sd.Kfz 10 was the vehicle used in the Movie "The Dirty Dozen".

I also found it interesting that they were projecting to have had 84 thousand visitors in 2020 until COVID 19 put an end to that.  So, what I now consider the most modern and best Armor Museum in the United States was about to have achieved its notoriety.  Unfortunately for them but as a benefit to anyone going now this is a great time to spend a day and be able to examine every bit of their collection.

Here are a few photos I took to share:

P8070258.JPG

P8070265.JPG

P8070285.JPG

P8070286.JPG

P8070269.JPG

P8070290.JPG

P8070299.JPG

P8070316.JPG

P8070343.JPG

P8070310.JPG

P8070321.JPG