WWII Submariner suitcase grouping USS Bluegill

ww2marine

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful group! Was his purple heart medal or service paperwork included?

Unfortunately no. I imagine the family hung on to those

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just noticed, that is a fairly unique set of dolphins on the jumper with ribbons. Wonder what the story was on those.

Just noticed, that is a fairly unique set of dolphins on the jumper with ribbons. Wonder what the story was on those.

Really? what's unique about them? I don't know the nuances.

You got me curious so I took a closer look and compared them to others I have. These dolphins arent on a wool background but are made from the same material as the jumper itself. The jumper is a private purchase which makes me wonder if the dolphins are tailor made too.

post-5600-0-48870200-1560304733.jpg

Thanks for following up. That's a new style for me, and if it weren't part of a solid group I'd have been tempted to write them off. Any tags or marks inside the jumper? I'd love to know where they originated from.

post-5600-0-21958600-1560570612.jpgI couldnt find any tags on the tailor made jumper or trousers. I did notice his crow on the tailor jumper was also the same material of the dolphins. He spent the 4th war patrol and some more time in Australia. I wonder if they might have been made there? We will probably never know. Ill add a pic from his Navy issue jumper with cross stitched crows.

A great group!! Thank you for sharing it. I really love the fact that you have the personal stories of his service. Standing on the deck of your surfaced sub, firing at enemy ships with .50 cal MG's ???? Can't be much more of a salty sailor than that ! Also, I believe his dolphin sleeve insignia is Australian made. Having collected Aussie made squadron patches, the stitching looks to exhibit the same type of somewhat erratic pattern their machines made while embroidering. Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...

I think your jumper with the oddball dolphins is likely Aussie- made. I have an theater CPO coat, but easy to tell from the Perth tailor label. The crow embrodery is also "interesting". How do the buttons on the cuffs compare?

I would agree that the uniform was commercially acquired. Ships that sold these uniforms, also provided insignia that was made on the same backing fabric. The first WW2 SM crow I acquired was from one of these shops and on Gaberdine blue fabric. Since they were for commercial sale, they were not required to meet Specs. And, no one really cared.