M1956 type .45 mag pocket

hotlead

I've heard that the M1911 magazine pocket with ALICE clips was not adopted with the M1956 web gear, if so, when was it adopted?

I have a OD #7 M1923 style pocket, the markings are hard to read, but...........

POCKET, MAGAZINE

DOUBLE, WEB, ENLISTED

MENS, M-1923

DSA-1-1637-63-E

XX65-2XX-X415

Some of the numbers may not be right, but I gather this pocket was contracted in 1963.

I imagine this type of .45 mag pocket would be available in VN, but especially so for Marines in VN.

Anyone know?

• 2 months later...
I've heard that the M1911 magazine pocket with ALICE clips was not adopted with the M1956 web gear, if so, when was it adopted?

I have a OD #7 M1923 style pocket, the markings are hard to read, but...........

POCKET, MAGAZINE

DOUBLE, WEB, ENLISTED

MENS, M-1923

DSA-1-1637-63-E

XX65-2XX-X415

Some of the numbers may not be right, but I gather this pocket was contracted in 1963.

I imagine this type of .45 mag pocket would be available in VN, but especially so for Marines in VN.

Anyone know?

i think adopted along the M56 set bc the M56 belt does'nt have snap for the old WWII model

First, for everyone's clarification, the nomenclature of the POCKET, AMMUNITION MAGAZINE, ENLISTED MEN'S, M-1923 did not change when the male snap fastner [to attach to the female snap fastner on the M-1936 individual equipment belt] was replaced with the M-1956 belt-strap keepers. Any reference to a "M-1956 ammunition magazine pocket" is strictly a "surplus store" term and no reflection of any actual military nomenclature.

At this point all I can say is the change occured prior to 29 July 1969. I know this isn't much, but once I've tracked down the correct revision of the military specification concerning the item I can give an exact date.

The military specification number assigned to this item did not change when the attachment device was but, the FSN did:

8465-255-8415 is assigned to the POCKET, AMMUNITION MAGAZINE with the male fastner

8465-782-2239 is assigned to the POCKET, AMMUNITION MAGAZINE with the M-1956 belt-strap keepers

I have one with the M1956 sliders. It's marked: Pocket, Ammo, Mag OD7 45 Cal DSA 100-1957 8465-782-2239.

That contract, "DSA 100-1957", would be a fiscal year 1966 contract. Someone on ePay is selling those as "1957 dated".

That contract, "DSA 100-1957", would be a fiscal year 1966 contract. Someone on ePay is selling those as "1957 dated".

stmonroe is right...they are all marked M1923...the nomeclature never chanced

by the way...what price glory found a stuck of mint fantastic WWII M1923s...i bought one & it's very yumy...those WWII khaki M23s are somewhat rare today...the older WWI M1910 mills & russel ones & the vietnam M23s with the sliders are all over the place

Greg Robinson
by the way...what price glory found a stuck of mint fantastic WWII M1923s...i bought one & it's very yumy...those WWII khaki M23s are somewhat rare today...the older WWI M1910 mills & russel ones & the vietnam M23s with the sliders are all over the place

When did they become rare? Not that long ago a local army store had a crate full of unissued 1942 and 1943 dated M1923 magazine pockets and the price was cheap. And the color is always OD #3 or khaki tan. What you almost never see is an OD #7 M1923 with wartime dates and when you do they're usually re-dyed

Greg

When did they become rare? Not that long ago a local army store had a crate full of unissued 1942 and 1943 dated M1923 magazine pockets and the price was cheap. And the color is always OD #3 or khaki tan. What you almost never see is an OD #7 M1923 with wartime dates and when you do they're usually re-dyed

Greg

they are not terribly rare-but they are rarest than some other models...that\s what i meant thumbsup.gif

Greg Robinson
they are not terribly rare-but they are rarest than some other models...that\s what i meant thumbsup.gif

I agree. :) What I'd like to find is a magazine pocket dated 1944 and made in OD #7 to go with my 1944 OD #7 pistol belt.

Greg