Bridge on the River Kwai

Tecko

Adding a little more levity to this topic, which is for sure a horrible period in history, and as well for those men, this reminded me of one of Basil Fawtly's rants in the British comedy series Fawlty Towers, the episode The Kipper and the Corpse, one where a guest dies in the night, dies of some unknown cause and Fawlty who gives him his breakfast in bed, is a bit miffed that the guest doesn't acknowledged him doing so no less saying good morning and or thank you, and as a doctor who a guest at the moment is summoned, he's astonished Fawlty did not notice he's dead :D .

hqdefault.jpg

Dr Price: You mean to tell me you didn't realize this man was dead?

Basil: Well people don't talk that much in the morning. Look, I'm just delivering a tray, right. If the guest isn't singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning," I don't immediately think "Oh, there's another snuffed it in the night. Another name in the Fawlty Towers Book of Remembrance." I mean, this is a hotel, not the Burma railway!

Thank you Proud Kraut, Manny, Ronnie, Billrob68, patches, and sundance for your great support, and humour, towards this build. Much appreciated.

To continue:

As I marked, with a pencil, the centre of a cross beam, for a reference to align the shorter arms, I noticed that I could use the pencil to mark bolt heads. Later, I will mark all the joints this way.

3HNA5wU.jpg

Have completed the bridge framework. Minder used to be a tight-rope walker. Here he is, showing-off on centre stage.

uDQPZ1o.jpg

Added central girders, with braces (matchsticks), to support the railway sleepers (to be added).

VDqEBQO.jpg

Is Minder's last name Wallenda, by any chance.

Mikie

Thanks Mikie. I did not know about The Flying Wallendas until today.

I re-checked Minder's credentials, and his last name is Ownbusiness. Somehow I think he's a con-artist. :D

Cutting strips of 1 mm plastic sheet for railway sleepers. After gluing into place, they were painted to look like freshly cut timber.

AEwvNbq.jpg

The amount of detail you're putting into this project is impressive. I actually got excited when I saw the thread had been updated. It's been fun watching this project take shape. Keep up the good work!

The amount of detail you're putting into this project is impressive. I actually got excited when I saw the thread had been updated. It's been fun watching this project take shape. Keep up the good work!

Thank you zsmith for kind words.

Will soon stop on this project for a break. Will return in New Year. But until 'Intermission' I still have a few things to post.

Cut thinner strips of 1 mm plastic for railway tracks. Filed down a block of wood for a spacer-guide while gluing the tracks.

Used red and brown enamel paint mix for painting the track. Then added silver colour to the mix and wiped that across the top of the rails.

GHJdA3L.jpg

jSYEYQu.jpg

Very nice model. I road on that rail line in the mid 80's. It was a very somber feeling to visit the Allied cemetery at Kanchanaburi Thailand

It looks great. Are you going to be able to put a river under it? When all is said and done I hope you can resist the temptation to blow it up. Enjoy your vaca from this project and Happy Holidays.

When all is said and done I hope you can resist the temptation to blow it up. .

Who in the heck would be tempted to "blow it up"? And why?

Lee, He was being "Tongue in cheek", It eludes to the fate of the movie bridge. This topic has a line of humor running through it,which is very entertaining.

Sorry - I meant no offense. 72psb caught my meaning. Just a reference to the movie bridge blowing sky hi at the end with the cheering prisoners being heard in the background. Again, sorry.

Should build two versions. One in its completed form. And one just after Alec Guinness falls on the plunger (adding the remnants of a wrecked train would be a nice touch).

Adding a little more levity to this topic, which is for sure a horrible period in history, and as well for those men, this reminded me of one of Basil Fawtly's rants in the British comedy series Fawlty Towers, the episode The Kipper and the Corpse, one where a guest dies in the night, dies of some unknown cause and Fawlty who gives him his breakfast in bed, is a bit miffed that the guest doesn't acknowledged him doing so no less saying good morning and or thank you, and as a doctor who a guest at the moment is summoned, he's astonished Fawlty did not notice he's dead :D .

hqdefault.jpg

Dr Price: You mean to tell me you didn't realize this man was dead?

Basil: Well people don't talk that much in the morning. Look, I'm just delivering a tray, right. If the guest isn't singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning," I don't immediately think "Oh, there's another snuffed it in the night. Another name in the Fawlty Towers Book of Remembrance." I mean, this is a hotel, not the Burma railway!

This topic is amazing! Your attention to detail and your scratch building skills are fantastic.

...Kat

Thanks, Kat.

Very nice model. I road on that rail line in the mid 80's. It was a very somber feeling to visit the Allied cemetery at Kanchanaburi Thailand

Thanks, bummer. Then you would understand the tribute more than most.

It looks great. Are you going to be able to put a river under it? When all is said and done I hope you can resist the temptation to blow it up. Enjoy your vaca from this project and Happy Holidays.

River? yes. Blow-up, no. Thanks for well wishes. You have a good Christmas to.

Should build two versions. One in its completed form. And one just after Alec Guinness falls on the plunger (adding the remnants of a wrecked train would be a nice touch).

KurtA, I tell you what, I'll build the tribute, and you build the bridge to blow up. Be sure to make a video of it so I can watch it too.

Preparing to add braces for road and footpath surface (boards), and for railings.

XpZzT9Y.jpg

Using 1 mm plastic sheet.

BspJn0e.jpg

HSQ6mEv.jpg

MX57iWf.jpg

Well, that's it folks for this year. Thanks for following and adding comments and support. Will return in New Year.

RXvNqaa.jpg