Book, A Confederate Veteran, Memories of Sampson Sanders Simmons

I picked this book up 25 years ago for .25 cents. It was written by Naomi Simmons Klipstein. The inside page shows a copyright of 1954 with a 1st edition printing of 150 copy's Dec. 15 1954. Someone blocked out the dedication, but you can see Naomi gave it to family for Christmas 1954. Has anyone ever seen another copy of this?

post-169522-0-03076200-1541289526.jpg

post-169522-0-74320500-1541289533.jpg

post-169522-0-79536000-1541289542_thumb.jpg

rom memorial resolutions passed by Camp No. 770, U. C. V., of Los Angeles, Cal., in tribute to Mrs. Agnes Goodridge Simmons, beloved wife of Comrade S. S. Simmons, Commander of the Camp, the following is taken:

"Mrs. Agnes Goodridge Simmons, daughter of Col. Charles Ruffner, was born at Charleston on Kanawha, W. Va., on March 20, 1851, and died May 5, 1920. She married Sampson Saunders Simmons, of Cabell County, W. Va., in February, 1870, and their golden wedding anniversary was celebrated on February 13, 1920. She was the mother of ten children, four of whom died in infancy. Three daughters and three sons survive her: Mrs. George T. Klipstun, of Alexandria, Va.; Mrs. William P. Mahood and Mrs. John W. Platt, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Bennett E. Simmons, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Goodridge Kilgore Simmons, of Holtsville, Cal.; C. Ruffner Simmons, of Phoenix, Ariz. The youngest son served in France in the Aero Squadron, A. E. F.

"Mrs. Simmons united with the Church at about fifteen years of age and all through life was more or less active in the work of the Church, and she was an active worker in the Women's Christian Temperance Union in her West Virginia home town. Her family, a large one, in her native county is among the oldest of the Virginians and devoted its entire strength to the cause of the Confederacy during the War between the States. Her father, too old for military duty at the time, maintained a hospital for Confederate soldiers near the border of Virginia and became the object of the bitterest persecution by the invading army because of his influence and activities on behalf of the South. Her husband, Sampson S. Simmons, was a member of Company E, 8th Virginia Cavalry, known as the 'Border Rangers,' commanded by the gallant Albert Gallatin Jenkins. The family have made their home in Los Angeles since 1908.

"Resolved, That the members of this Camp cherish the memory of Mrs. Simmons as that of one who was loyal to the ideals and principles for which we strive, helpful to us in our work, and an ever ready friend to us, one and all."

• 2 years later...

Sampson Saunders Simmons was my wife's great grandfather (by way of Goodridge Simmons of Holtville, Ca.)....He has Ben a legend and source of some interesting tales from her sue of the family but, somehow, we did not know about this book.....Do you still have it?

1 hour ago, JohnH said:

Sampson Saunders Simmons was my wife's great grandfather (by way of Goodridge Simmons of Holtville, Ca.)....He has Ben a legend and source of some interesting tales from her sue of the family but, somehow, we did not know about this book.....Do you still have it?

Yes sir I do. I have had it for almost 30 years.