Old blue style USMC flags

tdurbinmas

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I'm not the expert - This was as per chief curator at the National Museum of the Marine Corps who handles all the original USMC colors and standards.

I can't say original or not.  I will say the pictures of the flag on the auction site are not good.  You cannot get a close up look at the details of how the flag is constructed, thread application, etc.

Steve

Great pictures Dirk, but the comparison is not possible because of the lousy pictures on the auction site.  Also, Isn't the bullion an exception to the norm?

Steve

1 hour ago, CW Appraiser said:

Flag is unquestionably original, I have cataloged over 200 flags in this estate including 20-30 other USMC flags WW2-1980s, all original. The quality of embroidery is consistent with other 1930s US military contract flags. Poulin is among the few auction companies that guarantees descriptions.

What makes you expert as to say “reproduction-no good”?  What is NCHS?

Yes, what is NCHS???

Steve

Steve: National Capital Historic Sales….they make copies of pre-war Marine flags…..Brig and I got to see several styles in the USMC collection and while not all are bullion they are all really finely made….the one above falls short

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is one of the examples at the museum I got to see when I was down there doing research recently

IMG_5788.JPG

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Left one appears sythentic as well, with a certain sheen to the material, not natural like the cotton on the right original example

CW Appraiser
8 hours ago, SgtMaddoxUSMC said:

National Capital Historic Sales

Here are better pics of that flag I took and marking in sleeve. This collection was legendary in scope and eras represented and much more to come. I believe this flag is suspect after closer examination quality lacks. Poulin guarantees descriptions and refunds sales for that reason. It may be too late to post this additional information as Auction is today. I will post a few photographs of a few other flags in this sale, many sold in last few auctions and more to come. It is interesting to see what comes out.

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2680.dng

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I wonder if the one in question actually sold or if it was pulled from the auction?  Didn't a realized price listed when I checked.