What military items do you use as everyday items?

aussieboy

post-6975-0-61406800-1544224815.jpegpost-6975-0-89575100-1544224831_thumb.jpeg

Use this cup to feed squirrels sunflower seeds every AM. Years ago found lots of assorted US marked cups. The late Carter Rila and I discussed them at a few shows, he graciously gave me copies of his notes.

I want an RAF mug !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite desirable. rare and are highly sought after in the U.K. This one was here in the US so I imagine an AAF crew member brought it back with him. even though tens of thousands were made I read that traditionally when a RAF and USAAF crew member finished his tour of duty and got out he was to toss his coffee (tea) mug into the air!

I also have 2 1943 dated mugs.

post-205679-0-77142500-1544233138.jpgpost-205679-0-19329100-1544233149.jpgpost-205679-0-54032300-1544233325.jpeg

0a36cf67a58e592083ecbfabfee8aa36.jpg

A9 parka and mechanics cap reporting for duty with my boy getting a tree from Santas forest

Great photo!

Quite desirable. rare and are highly sought after in the U.K. This one was here in the US so I imagine an AAF crew member brought it back with him. even though tens of thousands were made I read that traditionally when a RAF and USAAF crew member finished his tour of duty and got out he was to toss his coffee (tea) mug into the air!

I also have 2 1943 dated mugs.

attachicon.gif Mugs_2999.JPGattachicon.gif FRE_000978.jpgattachicon.gif media-32419.jpeg

Those RAF mugs are my cup of tea. I'd retire my Monty Python mug for one of those.

Mikie

Those RAF mugs are my cup of tea. I'd retire my Monty Python mug for one of those.

Mikie

They are out there... I just acquired this one a few days ago!

post-205679-0-62058200-1544236446_thumb.jpg

post-205679-0-01798100-1544236567.jpg

General Apathy

0a36cf67a58e592083ecbfabfee8aa36.jpg

A9 parka and mechanics cap reporting for duty with my boy getting a tree from Santa’s forest

Hi Owen, check out this link it might interest you www.bombercamp.org

decorate that tree and have a great Christmas

lewis.

General Apathy

I also wear my 1943 Elgin A-11 watch

attachicon.gifIMG_7617.JPG

Hi Edward, thanks for showing your Elgin A-11, I have a passion for classic hand-wound mechanical watches especially military ones, and yours looks a great watch.

It wasn't until I saw your post and the photograph of your watch that I suddenly remembered I wear a military watch every day ( which is the theme of this thread ). This is the watch I wear everyday and it keeps perfect time, my Longines 1938 German officers watch .

lewis.

.post-344-0-64688300-1544270625_thumb.jpeg

Hi Edward, thanks for showing your Elgin A-11, I have a passion for classic hand-wound mechanical watches especially military ones, and yours looks a great watch.

It wasn't until I saw your post and the photograph of your watch that I suddenly remembered I wear a military watch every day ( which is the theme of this thread ). This is the watch I wear everyday and it keeps perfect time, my Longines 1938 German officers watch .

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_5bb.jpeg

great watch! its beautiful! thanks for showing it. I didn't wear a watch for 30 years until I started collecting USAAF WWII items and naturally I had to have a watch they would have used. the Elgin A-11 is pretty common but pricey. Waltham and Bulova also made A-11 for the military but I don't think I'll be adding those makers to my collection as I can't afford it. LOL!

General Apathy

great watch! its beautiful! thanks for showing it. I didn't wear a watch for 30 years until I started collecting USAAF WWII items and naturally I had to have a watch they would have used. the Elgin A-11 is pretty common but pricey. Waltham and Bulova also made A-11 for the military but I don't think I'll be adding those makers to my collection as I can't afford it. LOL!

Hi Edward, thanks for replying, sadly my watch has some ageing to the face and hands but for being eighty years old it keeps perfect time and I like the look and feel of it on my wrist.

lewis

Hi Edward, thanks for replying, sadly my watch has some ageing to the face and hands but for being eighty years old it keeps perfect time and I like the look and feel of it on my wrist.

lewis

mine has some wear and aging on the watch case and the hands are a nice aged yellowing. the crystal face is a new old stock replacement. I think the aging adds to the vintage look!

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

Hi aussieboy, I use my 1942 Ford GPW several times a week, just been out this morning to Ste Mere Eglise to have morning coffee with several other Jeep Jocks . . . . . . . . . . . .

lewis

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_327.jpeg

The Day after Christmas Day December 26 2018 update . . . . . . . .

Shot of the jeep in front of the church in Ste Mere Eglise December 26 2018. Presently we are experiencing dry crisp days without rain, so its great fun to be out and about in the Jeep.

lewis.

.post-344-0-51079800-1545917298.jpeg

I keep about a dozen US, US medical and USN marked mess spoons & forks in the silverware drawer. They are strong and feel good to hold. I keep a folding shovel in my car for snow and any "tire buddy" emergencies. I wear a pair of USAF blue flight pants to snow-blow (it makes me feel like an astronaut zipping them up) and a pair of yellow lens B-8 goggles to snow-blow or when I work under the cars. Of course plenty of ammo cans to store...well, ammo. And I have a few US flashlights around the house just in case.

• 2 years later...

I use regularly USMC and USN marked knives, forks and spoons when I eat/ along with a couple of WWII Luftwaffe spoons, mixed in with my regular flatware.  I also sleep under two or three WWII USMC and a US Navy blanket(s) (perhaps even pre-war pattern. )

Steve 

The Rooster

Poncho liner Daily. Too comfortable...

WW2 service mask bag for gun cleaning stuff and ammo when I shoot.

USGI lined cold weather leather gloves for winter and sometimes in the summer for yard work.

USGI Face mask hood thing for the winter. covers the whole head mouth nose tucks down into the shirt. Opening for the eyes.

I like it better than a scarf. Very warm.

I used to love the green wool army socks.

And for eating I have 5 ww2 steel mess trays. 1 is navy 1 is usmc and the others army.

Its cool sometimes to fill a tray up with dinner ! The things hold a lot of food!

post-181333-0-47547900-1583882573_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I actually had to use my P-38 can opener at work the other day to open cans of tuna.

None of the can openers there worked worth a darn.

• 2 months later...