Civil War Monument Dedication Souvenir collecting

Hello,

Does anyone collect Civil War monument dedication souvenirs? There were so many monuments dedicated and the badge vendors sought to capitalize on every opportunity. As such they produced souvenirs for these events. I was wondering if anyone out there has specialized in collecting these items.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I collect New York State CW Monument Dedication badges with Veteran bars. I collect only the official State-issued badges with veteran bars. I cannot recall how many there are (maybe 10 or so) and the only one I am still looking for it the General Greene Dedication badge. They are not overly expensive and are interesting to me in that they were originally issued to CW veterans.

Jim

Hi, Jim,

What represents a "veteran bar"? Is that a suspension bar indicating that it was issued/worn to a Civil War veteran? Would you be able to post pictures of your badges?

Your collection sounds very interesting. I wonder if there are similar badges for the state of Illinois.

Kevin

I have one ribbon from my hometown, in 1905 they dedicated a monument to the 23rd Massachusetts Infantry, I walk by the monument regularly.

I do not collect monument dedication souvenirs, but at one point I did own a souvenir wooden nickel from the re-activation ceremony of a Illinois Civil War infantry unit. The re-activated unit became apart of the Illinois National Guard. It was from the mid 1960s from what I recall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...