What do you feel are the most underrated militaria areas ?

TheMariner

For me, its the units of WWII that served CONUS. I love 4th Air Force stuff and when I do get it, I find it relatively cheap.

I think one thing that a lot of collectors do is think about the future of their collection. I am reluctant to spend a lot of a 4th AF group because in the future I know that when I am done enjoying it or when my wife is trying to get rid of it when I am no longer around, selling some of the underrated stuff is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Same, I like the service command uniforms.

Axis POWs in the United States seems to have some interest but not on the level of Allies interned in Germany/Italy/Japan...

Canteen tickets, US marked POW uniforms, POW trench art and other art...

and Military Payment Certificates or MPC and NCO club tokens are a few other areas with limited visibility..

Leigh

My collecting background is military paper money. I agree that it is under appreciated among militaria collectors but it has a very dedicated following in numismatic circles.

Bug ,

If they made them in cammo I would have some !!!!

Not the modern snow board ones either !

owen

I got ya covered when you write your sock puppet book ……. ;):lol:

post-342-0-65621100-1559188603_thumb.jpg

I got ya covered when you write your sock puppet book …….  ;)  :lol:

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif socks.jpg

Ron

Let’s sew on some button eyes !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have found that US WWII underwear is sort of the “red haired step child” of militaria. Boxers, undershirts, long johns, etc. I have a large collection of mint, ink stamped examples and my kids think I am strange to have these items.

Bob

General Apathy

I have found that US WWII underwear is sort of the “red haired step child” of militaria. Boxers, undershirts, long johns, etc. I have a large collection of mint, ink stamped examples and my kids think I am strange to have these items.

Bob

Hi Rambob, mint and stamped you say hahhaaaa, enjoy yourself looking at these WWII ones stacked between the unissued WWII white socks ( sox ) and the WWII tan cushion sole socks ( sox ) . . . . . . . . . . . .

lewis . . . . . . . ( hope you're well, its been a while since we mailed each other )

.post-344-0-93233500-1562335300_thumb.jpg

Kenneth, my friend! I hope all is well with you as I always enjoy communicating with you about my favorite subject, US WW2 militaria. One of my great regrets in my collecting life is that I never connected with that enormous hoard of mint, WW2 militaria you had stockpiled in Europe. I am envious every time I see the photos such as this showing what you had for sale at one time. I was lucky to have had access to Tom and Sharon Gordon at Military Marketplace in Georgia, but your motherlode is what theirs wanted to be when it grew up. I hope France is working out for you and I was there in Lourdes, a few months ago on a religious pilgrimage type thing. If I know you I am sure you had a blast at the 75th anniversary of D-day celebration in Normandy last month.

Take Care,

Bob

mars&thunder

I've always thought National Guard medals (including the unit issued ones) were under valued. Often there's incredible history behind some of the awards, and the older pieces were made by the top jewelers in the US - without a doubt the most beautiful military medals produced in our history - and often made of precious metals. The numbers awarded are frequently very small, but command low prices compared to federal medals due to the smaller number of collectors. Still much research left to be done, so those of us who like to sleuth get extra bang for the buck.

• 4 weeks later...
cagedfalcon

Space, it has crossover to militaria & back to space. What would it take to add another sub topic? I have received more comments on non space forums then on them.

Gemini, Mercury, Apollo, Shuttle & to the future.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
ShibaLegend

I would say WW2 home front item's.

Civil defense helmet's are not hard to come by, nor are the gas mask's issued to civilians, and war ration books with names and all may as well be a dime a dozen (at least in my experience).