Civil War era 34 star US flag with lacing holes

The 34 star flag was used from 1861 to 1863. An acquaintance picked this up at a local auction. It came with letters from a soldier who served with the Indiana volunteers. At least one letter was written while his unit was engaged with forces under Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Instead of the grommets or sleeves we are used to on flags now, this one has holes that look like they were used to lace the flag onto a pole. It's been suggested the holes are to hang it as a banner. Any thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Beautiful old flag! I wouldn’t be able to offer any idea on how the holes were used. Maybe some period flag photos would show something.

Frank

As a Kansan, I'm THRILLED to get the opportunity to look at this flag as Kansas was the 34th star, having been admitted to the union on January 29, 1861.

Thanks for sharing this Bob!

Allan

The edges of the holes appear to be reinforced, they could be mounting points for metal tacks or brads to hold the edge securely to the staff. The flag looks quite large, maybe 6x6', if so, possibly a regimental color? What a beautiful old Glory...Wow!

Very cool! I have not seen those kind of holes used before either. I would say because of the general direction of he "dancing" stars that it was flown as a flag and not as a banner.