Named WW2 4th Ranger BN Uniform Grouping

labelkills254

labelkills254

Here is my recent woodwork find. Named to SGT Alfred J. Upton, E Co, 4th Rangers. He enlisted Jan 1943 and got out Oct 1945. He is a purple heart recipient. Included with the grouping was his Ike, M42 jump jacket and mountain pants.

post-9378-0-82001900-1541001539_thumb.jpg

Was he an original 1st Bn member?...scroll looks like a 1st.

I don't have any record of him being with the 1st or 3rd. but your right, it does kind of look like that. I wish the photo was better quality.

- Jake

Is the Ike jacket made out of gaberdine? It doesn't look like a standard OD wool jacket.

Allan

Agree looks custom....worsted wool/gabradine

labelkills254

Agree looks custom....worsted wool/gabradine

Good eye, yea the coat is a very well made private purchase/custom jacket. I can post a picture of the tag later today. The front pockets also have small metal snaps instead of buttons.

Great grouping! Judging from the three OS bars on the sleeve and the Amazing Italian made scrolls, he may have come home with the 4th to Camp Butner, NC for deactivation in Oct. 1944. Maybe he was wounded at Cisterna. As stated above, most of the surviving Rangers were folded into the FSSF. Not all, though, part of the 4th Bn was brought home. He may not have been rehabbed enough for the transfer. He’s not listed Burhan’s FSSF Book, which is not a 100% complete roster. It would sure be interesting to see his records and get the real full story, not just speculation. Post it if you get more info down the road. Thanks for posting!

labelkills254

Thanks for the continued comments and support. Here are a few more pictures. First the replaced zipper in the M42. Based on my limited research it may be a late war or post war fix, although the stitching wear is consistent with the remainder of the jacket. There is a laundry number stamped 3 times which I believe says T-1861, although I found no matches in the FSSF roster. Please let me know what you guys think and if you can link it to another soldier. Based on what the Son in-law told me this Ranger fought at Anzio so potentially was given this by a 82nd trooper.

post-9378-0-43821400-1541797166_thumb.jpg