Slightly odd Air Crew wings

Old Marine

post-2843-1228763742.jpg

I don't know that much about the intricate details of these wings the way you guys do so, I would like to ask for your comments and observations about this set of wings that I found over the weekend at a church thrift shop. At first glance this looks like a nice set of "Air Crew" wings but if you look closer, it looks like this was originally a set of "Observer" wings that has been modified to be a set of AC wings.

The wings are really nicely made and the US eagle in the center is a raised, added on piece. There is no maker's mark on the back, only "STERLING".

Does anyone have any idea why this modification was done? is it possible that there was more of demand for Air Crew wings than Observer's wings, so exiting stocks of Observer's wings were modified to be AC wings?

When the Observer's wings were phased out of use, was the manufacturer stuck with piles that they converted to AC wings?

Was this modification done by the manufacturer?

Could this be one of those CBI oddities?

I appreciate any of your comments and observations.

Dennis

Old marine - please reference the thread in the wings section about the "SMILO" wings and you will have a partial answer.

As for the question about the observer part. In general it was a common partice to use the observer wing as a base for other wings i.e. medical wings, aerial gunner... so it is not a modification but more of a standard practice.

BTW nice set of US made SMILO AC wings!

John