1944 dated Constabulary/83rd Division Uniform

36thIDAlex

Recently picked this one up off eBay. I’m not usually a constabulary guy but a nice 44 dated 38xl from a combat vet with both SSI was too nice to pass up for such a low price.

As I’m not familiar, I presume the constabulary patch is German made but I am not sure.

The badge and ribbons I put on, but in the original holes. It appears that the uniform had at least two levels of ribbons and a CIB (I just put this one in the holes of the second ribbon rack as it’s all I had on hand). My question is, both levels of ribbon holes seem to only extend to fit two ribbons each, not the typical three. What I am saying is it appears that he wore four ribbons total, but in two rows of two. Feel free to take a look at the photo and see if you can work it out. I’d like to put some original ribbons on it so I’m guessing it would have been GCM, ETO, victory, and occupation (since he did see wartime service but not enough to qualify a diagonal hash on his sleeve).

It appears that the markings “W T 3201” are written at the collar. I’m not particularly good with the laundry numbers but the jacket comes from an estate in Belmont, Maine if anyone could help.

Thanks,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moonlight Gecko

Great pick up. The theater made Constabulary patch and the stitching on the 83rd inf. div. are really eye catching. Good luck with your research.

Well, a couple of days of research later and I have an absolute positive ID. It appears that his time with the constabulary would lead into a life of public service with the Hingham Police Department!

His obituary is dated August 9th, 2018

Posted Image

William H. Phillips Jr., 92, formerly of Hingham, Mass., died August 8, 2018. William was born March 20, 1926, in Boston, to the late William Sr. and Olive (Beaulieu) Phillips. He was raised and educated in Hingham. In his yearbook was the prescient inscription Life is long, why not I. William was a World War II combat veteran, serving in the European Theater with the 83rd Infantry Division. He retired from the U.S. Army with the rank of Sergeant Major. Mr. Phillips also retired from the Hingham Police Department after 35 years of service. He was assigned as a Safety Officer for 12 years and helped reorganize and supervise safety patrols in all of Hingham's elementary schools and St. Paul's Parochial School. In the 1960s, when AAA stopped the safety patrol trips to Washington, D.C., he and other safety officers organized and supervised the trips. William also supervised the school traffic guards. In 1982, William organized Hingham Police's first Traffic Division under the direction of Chief Wm. Schmitt and Captain F. Krause. He also served on the Hingham Traffic Committee for 20 years, spending 7 of those years as chairman. William was past president of the Massachusetts Safety Offices League, past president of the South Shore Safety Officers, and past president of the Hingham Police Association. During his Hingham years William balanced his work as a Hingham Police Officer, his commitments to the U.S. Army Reserve, and continual home renovations. After his retirement in 1986, William moved to Gilford, where he was elected to and served on the Gilford Budget Committee from 1999 to 2009. He also found time for researching his genealogy; rooting for the Patriots; and taking grandchildren to Boston plays, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and Washington, D.C. In his 80s, William was able to drive on cross country trips to Ohio, Kansas City, Oklahoma, and Texas and fly to Alaska as he visited grandchildren and members of the 83rd Infantry. William is survived by his sons, Michael W. Phillips and his wife Corinne of Lancaster, N.H., and Stephen R. Phillips and his wife Michelle of Attleboro, Mass.; a daughter-in-law, Dolores Phillips; abrother, John J. Phillips and his wife Catherine of Hull, Mass.; 10 grandchildren; 9 great-grandchildren; 2 nieces and 3 nephews. In addition to his parents, William was predeceased by his wife of 54 years, Roberta (Knapp) Phillips, and his son, Eric J. Phillips. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in his name to the National WWII Museum, 945 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 or St. Judes Ranch for Children, 200 Wilson Circle, Boulder City, NV 89005. Calling hours will be held on Tuesday, August 14, 2018, from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. at the Wilkinson-Beane-Simoneau-Paquette Funeral Home, 164 Pleasant Street, Laconia, N.H., using the Carriage House entrance. A committal service will take place later in August at the New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery, 110 Daniel Webster Highway, Boscawen, N.H. Wilkinson-Beane-Simoneau-Paquette Funeral & Cremation Services is assisting the family with the arrangements. For more information and to view an online memorial, go to www.wilkinsonbeane.com.

Published in The Patriot Ledger on Aug. 10, 2018

This is an original photo from his early days on the Force after returning home from Europe.

Posted Image

I also restored the uniform to what it would have looked like when he put it up. I am going to try and get in contact with the 83rd Division Association and see if they have anything more on him.

Posted Image

Also found this odd stitch pattern underneath the collar

Posted Image