ID Badge, Tomb of the Unknown.

Sgt127

Greetings.

I did not find a thread specifically about the Tomb of the Unknown, Tomb Guards Identification Badge.

I would like too gather as much information as possible on this badge. It it the second least awarded badge in the US Military following only behind the Astronauts badge.

All issue badges I have seen are sterling silver or black subdued. There are also several cloth variations. All issue badges I have seen have three pins in a triangle shape on the back. There appears to be a slight variation of the pin locations.

All of the silver badges Ive come across are originally silver oxidized. When worn by a sentry, they are polished.

I have a badge hallmarked Sterling by Sta Brite and two marked G23 (Ira Green). The G23 are not hallmarked sterling but, one has been polished, with no base color showing through, and both tested as silver with a rare earth magnet. I also believe His Lordship was a contractor. Most of the badges Ive seen are shell back, the Sta-Brite is solid back.

I know the Tomb Guards are issued a badge number. Has anyone ever seen a numbered badge or, is that simply the Guards badge number?

Any other info would be much appreciated.

post-174477-0-66102000-1540788978.jpeg

post-174477-0-10218900-1540789008.jpeg

post-174477-0-25716600-1540789021.jpeg

The first is a polished G-23 hallmark and reverse. The second is an oxidized G-23 hallmark and the last is a solid back Sta-Brite hallmark.

post-174477-0-05530100-1540789204.jpeg

post-174477-0-59074400-1540789220.jpeg

post-174477-0-39012800-1540789234.jpeg

Three years ago, I wrote a thread surrounding a pair of Tomb Sentinel's shoes that I received by a former tomb guard. Here is a link to the thread- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/250894-tomb-sentinels-shoes/?hl=%2Btomb+%2Bshoes

When I was talking with this young soldier, I had the opportunity to see his tomb guard badges as he had three or four of them. None of the ones that he had were numbered. I also do not recall any of them being sterling marked, but I could be wrong there. According to him, the only ones that are numbered are the ones that are permanently awarded, and then, they only receive one numbered badge. The badge is numbered in the center of the badge approximately where the word HONOR shows up on the opposite side. That badge is highly prized and he didn't think that they were actually polished and worn. Like other soldiers, those with a permanent award would have others that would be polished.

I will say that the ones that this soldier had were HIGHLY polished and there was very little detail to the fronts of the badges from all of the daily polishing that occurred to them. According to this soldier, they would take emery cloth to the badges and knock off all of the original finish and the highlights. His badges looked very similar to the first badge that you showed in the first post, except that I don't recall seeing any of the lines on the leaves like is seen on your example.

Allan

I have been interested in the Identification Badge of the Tomb of the Unknown.

I am very interested in all information this thread might offer for my learning experience as well.

The is a picture of the fronts of the badges I have in my collection.

post-152646-0-05447100-1540820167.jpg

I have been interested in the Identification Badge of the Tomb of the Unknown.

I am very interested in all information this thread might offer for my learning experience as well.

The is a picture of the fronts of the badges I have in my collection.

post-152646-0-79166300-1540820339.jpg

Thank you both. I remember reading the shoe thread, very interesting.

Mark green, is one of yours Sta Brite and the other His Lordship hallmarked?

Yours look great. It’s interesting to me how many variations there are in the method of manufacturer. (As seen on the back). Most are shell back. In some, the figures are visible on the back, others not. I’ve only seen one solid back, the Sta Brite I’ve got. It’s exceptionally heavy. Actually, heavy enough to where I would think it would pull down on the pocket when worn.

I’ve found the repros I’ve seen on EBay usually only have two pins on them.

I have high Res photos if anyone needs them.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for your input, Sgt127.

Most of my collection is packed away right now.

With the recent loss of my wife, I am slow to return to my collecting pleasures.

Best regards,

Mark