Heat stamps

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Yes, obviously should have read; ... place to "find" the heat stamp

I picked up a shell (possible WW2 or just post war) and I tried to find the stamp, but am not seeing the stamp. It should just behind the front rim on the inside.

You're correct, the lot stamp should be inside a few inches from the brim. It could be a light stamp, or it is overpainted and filled in or, it is a euro-clone M-1.

Sometimes they're on the side, near one of the chinstrap loops.

That has been found on Schlueters and I've only seen this with the "S" stamp. The lot number stamp was still inside the brim.

easterneagle87

Not a Euro clone. Flea market pick up and wanted to verify possible age as I'm listing it. Front seam. Came with a CAPAC liner

post-9131-0-08693400-1540830293_thumb.jpg

If you can’t find a heat stamp there is the possibility that it may have been lost to corrosion, McCord stamps can sometimes be very light and a minor layer of rust may destroy the stamp or the helmet may have been produced without a heat stamp or with the stamp made have been made on the outside of the shell.

I have a WW2 McCord and I’ve been unable to find any trace of a heat stamp. The outside of the helmet is in reasonably good condition but the inside looks like it may have been used as a washing bowl resulting in rust and this I believe destroyed the heat stamp.

Do you have any pictures of the rim seam and the swivel bail brackets? The position of the swivel bracket, the spot welds on the rim and swivel brackets will help identify the era it’s from and the manufacturer.

I'd take a flashlight and look all throughout the inside of the shell, heat stamps have popped up in all sorts of places. Doesn't hurt to look all around. But most likely if you can't find it, it's probably been lost, or just very faint and in an area full of rust. Good luck.

Hunt

Burning Hazard

Missing/unseen heat stamps are pretty common; I would say that, out of all the helmets I've owned, something like 1 in 5 had no visible heat stamp. Common causes of missing heat stamps are: multiple coats of paint, weak factory stamping, corrosion, or actually never stamped. How un-stamped shells passed quality control is beyond me, but somehow it did happen.

Pat

Going by the spot welds on the rim and the swivel bail brackets I would say your have a McCord. Looking at the pictures its more than likely that the rust has eaten into the heat stamp and thats possibly why it cant be found.