FN Browning Hi Power bring back!

WWIIBuff1945

Thanks AK!!

I went to the range today and shot a few magazines with zero issues. Nice shooting gun. I did google the extractor issue and a HP gunsmith said not to let a locked slide slam forward to pick up a round as that action can break the extractor. I worked the slide nice and easy and no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Vets research back tonight from Geoff of Golden Arrow Research. Finally a vet who's records weren't destroyed! Although I am grateful for his service during the war, I am a little disappointed in his Army assignment. He was a clerk. (47th Finance Disbursing Section) Oh well, he did his part to help win the war. The soldiers would not of been too happy if they weren't being paid! He was drafted at age 36 and already had a B.S. in Business Administration. Here are just 3 pages of the 22 I received.

post-158759-0-10070800-1542860572.jpgpost-158759-0-53423600-1542860585.jpgpost-158759-0-95123400-1542860597.jpg

• 1 month later...

My dad brought back a pistol just like this, a German occupation produced FN 1935 with holster and spare magazine. They were stolen in the early 1990's. Serial number on the pistol is 90993a.

You can see the serial number written on his ID card. I do not know what the other serial numbers were to. He got this ID card when he received a battlefield commission from staff sergeant to second lieutenant in March 1945 just prior to crossing the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen.

post-22-0-52161300-1400849400.jpg

WWIIBuff1945

Very cool... thanks for sharing your Dad's picture! Have you seen this info on him?

Field Title Value Meaning ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 39454697 39454697 NAME GETTMAN#HENRY########### GETTMAN#HENRY########### RESIDENCE: STATE #7 Undefined Code RESIDENCE: COUNTY 071 Undefined Code PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 9782 SPOKANE WASHINGTON DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 03 03 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 09 09 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42 42 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private GRADE: CODE 8 Private BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA FIELD USE AS DESIRED # # TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law LONGEVITY ### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 4 National Guard in Federal Service, after 3 months of Discharge NATIVITY 97 WASHINGTON YEAR OF BIRTH 11 11 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 340 Gardeners and grounds keepers, parks, cemetaries, etc. MARITAL STATUS 1 Single, with dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER # # BOX NUMBER 1437 1437 FILM REEL NUMBER 7.8## 7.8##

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool... thanks for sharing your Dad's picture! Have you seen this info on him?

Field Title Value Meaning ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 39454697 39454697 NAME GETTMAN#HENRY########### GETTMAN#HENRY########### RESIDENCE: STATE #7 Undefined Code RESIDENCE: COUNTY 071 Undefined Code PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 9782 SPOKANE WASHINGTON DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 03 03 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 09 09 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42 42 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private GRADE: CODE 8 Private BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA FIELD USE AS DESIRED # # TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law LONGEVITY ### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 4 National Guard in Federal Service, after 3 months of Discharge NATIVITY 97 WASHINGTON YEAR OF BIRTH 11 11 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 340 Gardeners and grounds keepers, parks, cemetaries, etc. MARITAL STATUS 1 Single, with dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER # # BOX NUMBER 1437 1437 FILM REEL NUMBER 7.8## 7.8##

Thank you. Yes, I have extensive records on my dad. He kept copies of everything. He was 31 years old when he was drafted in 1942 and had 8 years prior service in the Washington National Guard from 1930-38. He ended up doing 29 more years in the Army, including WW II, Korean War and Vietnam.

They almost didn't take him though because he was only 5'0" tall, a full 4" below the minimum height requirement at the time. But because of his JROTC and CMTC training in HS and the hundreds of shooting awards he had accrued while in HS and the NG, they let him in. Finally had to kick him out on a medical discharge in 1971.

This is him, the little guy with no jacket in the middle, at the Cavalry Replacement Training Center, Ft Riley, Kansas, in February 1943 before being assigned to the 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and going to Europe. His first overseas assignment would find him on what would very soon become the Northern shoulder of the Bulge.post-63795-0-92409100-1547510001_thumb.jpg

Wow that awesome you have all his records. Three war veteran .... not many men can claim that!

Well, I guess you could say 4 wars, if you counted the Cold War. He spent a lot of years in Germany and Austria, including on the Czechoslovakian border, and in Panama, Thailand, and post-war Korea. He had some pretty good stacks of service stripes and overseas bars when he got out.

This photo was taken in the 60's when he was still a master sergeant. He retired in December '71 shortly after making sergeant major. If you look closely you can see the solid 14kt gold Distinguished Marksman Badge he was awarded in 1936 when he was with Co F, 161st Infantry, Washington National Guard. He was buried with it in 1983.

post-63795-0-56264200-1547679951_thumb.jpg

Zendt actually lived near me which is neat. I’m not in Montgomery county but very close. That’s a really cool and nice bring back, papers and all. Shot a hi power once and I have to say If I could afford one, I’d get one lol. They are very well made and accurate guns