Named army commendation medal

Gavin D.

I picked up this army commendation medal this morning that I assume is probably Vietnam era. It is named to Frederick N. Leonard. I'm not sure if it's government engraved, but I believe it may be privately done? I plan on doing research on it and if I find anything I'll update the post.

post-158043-0-65349300-1540735976.jpg

post-158043-0-05296100-1540735984_thumb.jpg

Sorry my camera isn't the best. Hopefully this is a little better. If the engraving is around 1947 does that mean it was probably awarded for WWII service?

post-158043-0-12969500-1540752418.jpg

oldradiostuff

Hopefully someone else will jump in with an opinion, but it still looks to me like the official script engraving from right after the war.

A medal for the Army Commendation Ribbon, established in 1945, was introduced in 1950. It was not called a medal at the time, but was called the Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant. In 1960, it became the Army Commendation Medal. Hope this helps dating yours.

oldradiostuff

I always found it interesting that they used the same "motto" on the reverse of the Commendation Medal that was used on the reverse of the Purple Heart Medal.

• 1 month later...