Not quite a new member, but have a selling question

paulb104

Howdy :)

I wasn't sure where to put my question and this forum seemed like a good spot. Mods, feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate place!

The other day I posted a medal and asked about it. Them medal isn't mine, I was just asked to do some research and maybe help sell it. The owner, a not online senior, saw that there's a selling section here at usmilitariaforum.com.

I've been tasked to ask whether medals from GAR, DAR, and UCV are appropriate for sale here... there.

Thanks!!!!

Paul

Yes, I saw that, thanks.

I also saw that it said "Each member must have at least 30 posts ... So, as soon as the 50th post is made, permission will be granted." so I wonder if it's thirty or fifty!

At least 30, but privileges are not automatic. It is up to the discretion of the Moderators if you can begin selling at that level. Once you have 50 substantial posts, sales privileges are generally granted without further review.

And yes, medals from GAR, DAR, and UCV are appropriate both for discussion and sale here.

If you have photos and any background information on them, feel free to post that in the meantime. We have members who are interested in these, especially UCV items.

At least 30, but privileges are not automatic. It is up to the discretion of the Moderators if you can begin selling at that level. Once you have 50 substantial posts, sales privileges are generally granted without further review.

And yes, medals from GAR, DAR, and UCV are appropriate both for discussion and sale here.

If you have photos and any background information on them, feel free to post that in the meantime. We have members who are interested in these, especially UCV items.

I think what I'll do is gather a few of the items that I have on hand, take some pics of them and post them in the 'what are they worth' forum first. I want to make sure that the owner, who is pricing them, is getting fair value. My only concern there is that the photo size here is only 251k. I'm used to photos much larger than that.

Oh, I don't need a photo resizing tool as I can do that myself. No matter how you take a 5mb image and resize it down to 251kb-ish, it's still just a tiny (comparatively) picture.

Are links to the outside world allowed?

I'm not comfortable with a buyer only seeing the tiny pictures. I would be worried that when a buyer receives something they might see something, some flaw, that wasn't visible in the small pics. What I would do is create an album in Google Photos with high quality images for each item and post a link for the album with each item.

This is what I did with the medal that I asked about. I wasn't posting in the forum with the intent of selling it but someone privately messaged me with an offer (so kind!) and I posted pics and sent a link to the album to the buyer.

Outside links are not allowed and you must post picture/s of item/s for sale. That said, I'm guessing you could also add in your sale post that if someone wants to look at high quality images of each item, they could PM you for the link to your Google photo album.

That's a fantastic idea. I'll say that I've created an album with hi-res images and just pm for the link.

What I'd rather do, though, is do something like this: here's the folder, just replace the space with a period: goo gl/6nqg5B

...but that probably would be not ok

No matter how you take a 5mb image and resize it down to 251kb-ish, it's still just a tiny (comparatively) picture.

Are links to the outside world allowed?

No need to post tiny photos: this one is 123kb and you could fit two in one post (and when you start a discussion thread you can do as many posts as you want.)

size.jpg

We generally do not allow links to outside photo services because they tend to disappear with time and we are left with discussions with no photos.

No need to post tiny photos: this one is 123kb and you could fit two in one post (and when you start a discussion thread you can do as many posts as you want.)

attachicon.gifsize.jpg

We generally do not allow links to outside photo services because they tend to disappear with time and we are left with discussions with no photos.

Bob, as an online seller since 1995, I'm very conscientious about making sure that the buyer sees all the (potential) flaws in an item, especially when we're talking hundreds of dollars for a single item specifically about tokens and medals. When I list on ebay I decidedly and pointedly mention flaws (as I see them).

I really, really, hate having to deal with an unhappy customer!

Bob, as an online seller since 1995, I'm very conscientious about making sure that the buyer sees all the (potential) flaws in an item, especially when we're talking hundreds of dollars for a single item specifically about tokens and medals. When I list on ebay I decidedly and pointedly mention flaws (as I see them).

I really, really, hate having to deal with an unhappy customer!

I think you will find those who have bought and sold through this Forum are equally conscientious about selling items of both high and low value.

And you will find they have successfully done so using the photo options and the tools that we offer.

As explained, you can offer to provide higher resolution photos to any one in inquires through email or private messaging. You are also not limited by the number of photos you can post in a thread, and you can supplement that with your written descriptions.

You were offered a sizing tool, but dismissed it without even trying it, and you are stating using your methods will only produce "tiny pictures". Perhaps you might experiment with the options being offered to you.

Your posts so far seem to indicate that your primary purpose on being here is to obtain price and value information from our members. The primary purpose of this Forum is to present and discuss military history and historical objects. When I suggested you could post some of the medals you are looking at on here, I was referring to informational posts.

If you continue to feel that our photo options are inadequate or our sales process is too restrictive, this may not Forum may not be a good fit your intentions.

I think you will find those who have bought and sold through this Forum are equally conscientious about selling items of both high and low value.

And you will find they have successfully done so using the photo options and the tools that we offer.

As explained, you can offer to provide higher resolution photos to any one in inquires through email or private messaging. You are also not limited by the number of photos you can post in a thread, and you can supplement that with your written descriptions.

You were offered a sizing tool, but dismissed it without even trying it, and you are stating using your methods will only produce "tiny pictures". Perhaps you might experiment with the options being offered to you.

Your posts so far seem to indicate that your primary purpose on being here is to obtain price and value information from our members. The primary purpose of this Forum is to present and discuss military history and historical objects. When I suggested you could post some of the medals you are looking at on here, I was referring to informational posts.

If you continue to feel that our photo options are inadequate or our sales process is too restrictive, this may not Forum may not be a good fit your intentions.

"You are also not limited by the number of photos you can post in a thread, and you can supplement that with your written descriptions."
This must be different in the sales forum then. When I posted in the medals forum a few days ago, I was limited to 251k for my pictures TOTAL, be it one photo or four. That was the total amount of size I was able to have: 251k. Of course, if there's a different set of rules with the selling forums, and multiple pics are allowed with each individual pic being 251k, then that isn't so bad (comparatively).
Regarding the sizing tool, I "dismissed" it because I own a number of photo manipulation programs, as well as have access (and use) to a number of online photo manipulation resources.
I am just trying to learn the rules and the system *before* I attempt to do anything :) I'm one of the those people who actual read through the whole instruction manual before putting something together.
As for my intentions, I'm just trying to make the owner of these items happy, as well as ingratiate myself here smoothly.

Forum Manager

You can post as many photos as you want, they are just not going to be in the same post, you will have to do a few in the reply section.

Everyone has offered you advice and has shown you the tools that most use to posts here and they have no problem with the image sizes.

Basically you reply to your own initial post as many times as you like and add additional photos as you need.

I have to be honest - this never occurred to me!!! :D

You'll probably need to use this excellent photo resizing tool online, it works perfectly every time.

http://ben-major.com...usmf-resize.php

I have to disagree here. Out of curiosity I tried the online tool. I've done it with over forty files now and I can that it does NOT work perfectly every time. I've had six pictures that it were resized that were still larger than the 251k. I couldn't figure out why those pics didn't get small enough, nothing about them seemed unusual.

It is interesting that all posts in the What's it Worth forum do not count towards this. Not in my own threads, or someone else's thread.

It is interesting that all posts in the What's it Worth forum do not count towards this. Not in my own threads, or someone else's thread.

No, they don't. We have had people join the Forum with the sole intent of using it as a pricing tool.

Sales privileges are for members who contribute substantial content to our discussions.