Newbie member from California

Militoy

"Hi" to all on the forum -

I just joined this forum, after having lurked around for a number of months - in order to post a reply on a thread I spotted regarding the history of my old unit patch. I was a 35L20 in the US Army, stationed in Germany in 1974 and 1975. Fliegerhorst Kaserne in Hanau was the largest helicopter airfield in Europe at that time. We worked on radio equipment on UH-1, OH-58, and AH-1 helicopters - as well as on the OV-1 (Mohawk) fixed-wing aircraft - and occasionally even on the old Bell OH-13 we kept around as a trainer.

My collection consists mainly of psyops materials - invasion and facsimile currency, safe-conduct passes, propaganda, death cards, short-snorters etc. I also have some older military radio and electronic equipment in my possession - as I have been employed since the 1970s as an engineer in the defense industry - mostly designing aircraft, spacecraft and shipboard equipment. I have a couple of military trucks as well - including a 1970 USMC Gama Goat. So I have a small collection of vehicle support stuff and a few Army uniform items to wear in parades honoring the local VFW and American Legion posts.

I have already learned a lot from reading some of the threads here - and have enjoyed the discussions. Since I am fairly busy running a small business, I don't expect I will get the chance to post extremely often - but I will chime in whenever I might have a tidbit of helpful information - and will continue to lurk in the background. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!

Ralph <Militoy>

Thanks much for the kind words - MP25 and Backtheattack! "BTA" - I see that you live in Bavaria. I was stationed in Germany in the early 1970's - but I haven't made the trip yet after so many years to go back and visit there. I have very fond memories of going to an Army signal school down in Bad Toelz - and especially of the two years I was able to enjoy the Oktoberfest in Munich! I have a brother with a PhD in military history - that has regularly hounded me to travel there back with him on a junket. Hopefully, I can make it back to see your beautiful country again within the next few years!

• 2 weeks later...