USN Composite Squadron 96 - WWII

JBaird

I have some very nice original photographs of VC-96's Torpedo Bomber crews. If you are looking for photo's of any of the crew members, send me a message and I'll get back with you. These photo's are along with a grouping I have from Harry W. Snyder, who was a turret gunner. If you have any information on him I would appreciate it!

Jeff

It's not much, but Fold3.com has him on this list of awards to VC-96 personnel, showing he was awarded two Air Medals as an AMM2c.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-89633800-1540514068_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Paul!

I have the award docs for the three awards of the Air Medal, as well as for a DFC he received. Also included in the group were the medals themselves!

Jeff

Here are a couple of photographs of the grouping. There is more, but it would take a LONG time to put everything here.

post-157582-0-91321400-1540524871_thumb.jpeg

Here is a photo of him, along with the rest of the crew of his TBM. Picture was taken on the wing of his aircraft. Also pictured is ARM1c Joe Arellano (far left) and the pilot, LT(jg) Bill Heekin (middle).

post-157582-0-83724500-1540525230.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Im a new member, so my apologies in advance if I ask questions that have already been asked. VC-96 has been a hobby of mine for more than a year now. I started researching the squadron after a friend shared a photo of his uncle whose Avenger TBM disappeared during an attack on Miyakojima June 24, 1945. Ive yet to find a surviving members of the VC-96, but I have been in contact with some descendants; so Im interested in any information about the squadron.

William "Harry" Snyder

June 04, 1924 - May 24, 2016

William H. "Harry" Snyder, born in Philadelphia, formerly of Holiday City in Williamstown, NJ, died at the Veterans Home in Vineland on May 24, 2016.

Predeceased by his loving wife of 60 years, Evelyn. Survived by his son William A. (Maryann), brother Charles, grandsons William A., Jr. (Antoinette), Jason (Michele), Shane (Meredith), great grandchildren Regann, Samuel, Harrison, AJ, William and Abigail.

He graduated from NorthEast High School and was a US Navy WWII Veteran. After the war, he was hired as a bus driver for PTC (today Septa). He had a very interesting career with PTC/SEPTA. From driving a bus, he was promoted to a driving instructor. He was then upgraded to the position of supervisor. He then became heavily involved with the union as an officer. The PTC/Septa Co. made him a depot superintendent removing him from a union position. He retired as a District Superintendent responsible for 2800 men. He loved his baseball, his North Wildwood home, the Mummers & his family. He was a man that had no problem telling you what he thought and did it his way.

Viewing Thursday evening 7:00-8:30 PM & Friday morning 10:00-11:00 AM at the Farnelli Funeral Home, 504 N. Main St., Williamstown, NJ. Service Friday 11:00 AM. Burial will follow in the Gloucester Co. Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Williamstown. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Gloucester Co. Veterans Memorial Cemetery Fund, PO Box 337, Woodbury, NJ 08096.