Need help with Inert Grenade Identification

Catfishcraig

I normally stay away from grenades marked RFX but this one looks like the bottom has the beveled edge, 9/16 fuse and traces of blue paint. Other than the paint is this a real trainer? If so what era?

Thanks

Craig

post-12393-0-92842900-1540481676.jpeg

post-12393-0-41365700-1540481692_thumb.jpeg

Removing the modern day paint is possible. However, it is an iffy job. Start with mineral spirits, if rubbing with a rag does not result in OD paint loss, then try acetone. Not many modern paints can stand up to acetone, BUT it may also remove the original blue. Beware, acetone removes ink stampings. Go slowly, do not soak the rag in dripping acetone, but instead damp. Acetone flashes off quickly. If the OD is being removed, go slowly, letting the acetone flash off each rubbing. I have never had any luck with paint stripper, it tends to remove everything quickly. Worse case, you will need to repaint. Use FS 35109 blue, Testors model paint the exact Federal Standard color. Hobby Lobby carries it...if spray is not available, thin alittle and paint with a fine bristle brush, then rub down with Scotchbrite pads to " age" it.

post-180924-0-20892400-1540579779_thumb.png

Worked on this a little today. With a little acetone and some rubbing, I was able to remove the first layer of OD Paint to expose a second and older layer of OD paint. Underneath the second layer you can see the original blue. I was also able to expose the label on the fuze (M205A2). Working slowly as to not rub off the blue paint.

post-12393-0-51500300-1541267282.jpeg

post-12393-0-51675200-1541267293.jpeg

Great job so far, especially being able to uncover the spoon lettering. Be careful, the acetone can remove the ink stamp very quick.Do not use a drenched rag, just damp, letting each application flash off. If the blue starts to remove, I would stop, and be satisfied even with some green showing. That way at least the date will still show.

Good choice. I would leave it as is. Dated spoon visible, and original blue showing through. Just for info, the lower spoon lever has a brown painted end, slightly visible. You can work more on that area, but leave the top alone where the ink markings are readable, the date 2-64 puts it into the Vietnam war era. Yours, as all type grenades, are increasingly getting harder to find.