Infrared pulse thermography: seeing through paint

ken88

I accidentally came across this study online which is about camouflaged German helmets and their hidden insignia. In it the author suggests it is possible to identify the paint-covered insignia on these helmets using a technique called infrared pulse thermography. So science is basically using state of the art technology to see through paint on German helmets, revealing their insignia. The same has been done with valuable antique paintings, and it's really fascinating to see what technology has come to.

I though it would be interesting to share this on here since a lot of collectors have repainted or camouflaged helmets that may be hiding things, and are most likely curious as to what exactly could be hidden under the paint.

I'm sure these machines are still ridiculously expensive but it's probably not unreasonable to think that in a number of years we'll see collectors using hand-held devices to study their own repainted helmets and or equipment.

Exciting, right? Let us know your thoughts...

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1296207416302400

1-s2.0-S1296207416302400-gr8.jpg

Phenomenal and very exciting news, I will be looking forward to seeing this machine working up front and personal.

Thanks for the great thread Ken

- Dean

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

XRF spectroscopy has scared me of any mixing of tech and helmets.

But this is cool! Probably too expensive to run every repainted helmet through to see if markings are under the paint.

If I recall this or something like it has been discussed on here before.A few years back.

I don't think this process has been discussed before. However, X-Ray Floresence Spectroscopy has been discussed before, as mentioned in the post previous to yours