Tribute to K9 Troops

1944WC52

PUPPY PATROL!!!! Cool!!! One of my favorite things while on patrol was to get "puppy time" helping the K9 patrols hone their skills. I was an MP the last 14 years of my service and loved to hide the toy for the dogs, and occasionally on slow nights, put on the bite suit. You really dont appreciate what a force multiplier K9s are until you've had one support you and help take down the bad guy. I really got some serious time in with the K9 guys when I worked Drug Suppression in Germany. Health and welfare inspections and all the displays we did on the holidays and fests...

Hat's off to ya my friend, and a hearty pat on the head for the puppy too!

Wayne

I also love the BEEP in the background!

Being the proud companion (I don't like "owner") of a dog myself, I really like photos like this.

Keep up the good work!

And a big "woof woof" to the 4-legged friends.

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...
Question:

Are there regs for GI K-9 gear?

If so, what, where to find/see?

Regs for the Handlers or for the Dogs?

What kind of regs equipment or other?

Regs for the Handlers or for the Dogs?

What kind of regs equipment or other?

Equipment regs, for the dogs themselves?

Just wondering... harnesses, collars, lead shanks, cold weather gear, whatever there might have been.

Thanks Robin... great grouping you have there.

I wasn't sure, but had a hunch, there would have been regulation issued equipment for them. Just never had thought about it until seeing this thread.

I wasn't sure, but had a hunch, there would have been regulation issued equipment for them. Just never had thought about it until seeing this thread.

I'll have to dig it up but most of the gear is Ray Allen, or rigger made.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the tardiness of the reply here,

What time period regulation for equipment you looking for?

I have everything from WW1 to modern in the pubs on it, mostly foreign on the early side though.

PM me if you want.

Really nice collection you got there but, you need a Doggy to go along with it! w00t.gif

Sorry about the tardiness of the reply here,

What time period regulation for equipment you looking for?

I have everything from WW1 to modern in the pubs on it, mostly foreign on the early side though.

PM me if you want.

Really nice collection you got there but, you need a Doggy to go along with it! w00t.gif

I didn't have any era in mind actually... the question was aimed at finding out whether there were ANY regulation gear for the dogs and, if so, what it might look like, how had it changed with the years and tasks involved - that sort of thing.

It is such an unusual (to me) facet of militaria, appealing mainly because I have a genuine love of K-9 corps, mostly emotional because a lot of guys in my era could not keep their dogs, because a lot of the training goes on at an AF base (Lackland), and because I have a service dog myself - to help me with mobility... a Weimaraner.

If dreams could come true, I'd be more than willing to go back through BMT (maybe :blink: ) if the AF would let me be a dog handler.

I didn't have any era in mind actually... the question was aimed at finding out whether there were ANY regulation gear for the dogs and, if so, what it might look like, how had it changed with the years and tasks involved - that sort of thing.

It is such an unusual (to me) facet of militaria, appealing mainly because I have a genuine love of K-9 corps, mostly emotional because a lot of guys in my era could not keep their dogs, because a lot of the training goes on at an AF base (Lackland), and because I have a service dog myself - to help me with mobility... a Weimaraner.

If dreams could come true, I'd be more than willing to go back through BMT (maybe :blink: ) if the AF would let me be a dog handler.

Train your doggy to be a therapy dog (http://www.therapydogs.com/) and volunteer your time at the local vets home, or medical hold over site at a base near you.

Wow as for the gear you can definitely spot the trends in the gear,as it mirrors the civilian development in training styles.

The different nationalities have their play in the development and styles for your dog as well. Currently the most often seen style is schutzhund equipment.

Now what is being seen in theater is very specific and with the rapid fielding initiative almost any catalog equipment if it fits your needs can be used for your dog with command approval.

You won't really see any American equipment prior to WW2, in the beginning of WW2 you will usually see Ray Allen or Saddle shop made.

After WW2 and until :D now you start to see a standardization of K9 gear.

But it gets murky.

I can scan manuals if you like.