Picked up a 101st group opinions please

FieryPhantom

The uniform regulations in book form, and or officer's guide which shows the proper placement of ribbons and devices.

and you can also look at the stitch nazi's guide to collecting fake memorablia and uniforms. If its not by the book then I'm not buying it.

signed..... NO NAME

"stitch nazi's guide to collecting fake memorabilia and uniforms" think.gif Is this some kind of reference , seriously

Sparkyasundevil

All of Yates' wings are pin backs. He did not stitch the 506 oval to his uniform as it is just pinned to the jacket by the wing.

Next yates item will be his Normandy and Holland worn M-42 reinforced jump jacket. It was never impregnated and has a bandolier stitched around the inside bottom portion of the coat for smokes and other items. He wore it under his M-43 suit in Holland. Interestingly, while in Bastogne he wore a British paratrooper jump smock over his uniform for the duration there.

I think that is sarcasm, which many on this forum don't seem to understand. We get so caught up in the regulations and other minutiae that we forget these vet's didn't care all that much about what they were wearing, thay just wanted to get home to their families. Remember, these uniforms were clothing and not potential military collectibles. Just my 2 cents, Mark

I think that is sarcasm, which many on this forum don't seem to understand. We get so caught up in the regulations and other minutiae that we forget these vet's didn't care all that much about what they were wearing, thay just wanted to get home to their families. Remember, these uniforms were clothing and not potential military collectibles. Just my 2 cents, Mark

That's a well-taken 2 cents mark - and you are right.

Rich

Of all the wings I have seen over the years, whether in private collections or belonging to Veterans - I have yet to see a pair of wings with an arrowhead on them. Campaign stars - yes, many of them. thumbsup.gif

My buddy has 43 101st Airborne Ikes from WWII - not one jacket has a pair of wings with an arrowhead on it. think.gif

Rich

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting the wings should have an arrowhead device. What I meant was that I found it unusual that the EAME ribbon did not have an arrowhead device even though it had four campaign stars and also that it was unusual that the wings did not have stars representing one or more combat jumps. While these devices certainly were not always worn and regulations were not always followed, remember that paratroopers were extremely proud of their accomplishments.

The ribbon bar in the picture has the World War II Victory ribbon so even if it is otherwise a period piece, which I think it appears to be, it was still assembled after the war ended. Why would the wearer go to the trouble of putting some of the earned devices on his ribbon but not the one that distinguished him from a clerk or a truck driver or any number of soldiers that certainly did great work in the war but did not participate in the spearhead of an invasion?

My comments are not intended to nitpick but I think when you look at the grouping as a whole there are just too many red flags to explain its legitimacy by just assuming the wearer just didn't keep up with the latest regulations.

Sparkyasundevil

One other tid bit that I left off regarding Yates' uniform. He obviously liked to have things around the skirt of his jackets. Check out the camoflage chute material on the inside of his jacket!

MVC-064S.jpg

MVC-063S.jpg

Just to confuse issue's here. I have a 506th Pathfinder uniform. His ETO ribbon has 4 stars and arrowhead. His jump wings are bare. I heard many years back that Pathfinders put an arrowhead on the wings for D-day. In with his grouping were some VERY WELL WORN English made wings which at one time had stars on them. Carl was shot down over the Channel on D-Day so he would not have the arrowhead on his wings. He recieved the Bronze Star. In the pocket of his Ike was a Silver Star ribbon. I talked to John Agnew who was his buddy. He said Carl never won the SS. So maybe it was just for show after the war. Don't ya just love how these soldiers mixed and matched. Oh, I almost forgot. His DI's on the IKE are 2 differnt makers and obviously different at that.