Army service uniform - COL Harold “Pat” Marty

Fratlanta

VolunteerArmoury

his name was : Colonel (Ret.) Harold Patrick Marty

interested to see what you guys can find about his career.

thanks

All I’ve found of his early career so far is that he graduated from Minnesota State in Morehead, MN in 84 which they do have a ROTC program there. But nothing on what he branched or began his career in so far.

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmory ... everything you said was valid. No dispute.

However, looking at the dress blues, there appears to be a ranger tab above the pocket. This makes it even more likely the officer was either infantry, or as you noted, detailed to infantry at one point.

This individual has a lot of ribbons, with a lot of devices. Very few officers with purely logistics backgrounds left the service with a rack like that.

If we see the pictures of the fatigues we might get a better fix on the last name. Then our research wizards can go to work and see if they can pull up an identity on this officer.

Hopefully therell be some more information on the guy surface & learn about his service instead of all of our speculations.

I saw the tab on the flap but Ranger does not mean Infantry. Anyone & everyone can go to Ranger School & Ive more examples of non-Infantry personal especially officers than I could begin to account. Not uncommon at all in my career. For a time a contracted ROTC Cadet could go to Ranger School without yet having been commissioned or even yet assigned a branch. During my career spanning from the 90s till 2014 that crossed between National Guard, Reserves, & active duty as well as having graduated from a military college & also worked as a civilian as a Cadet Corps recruiter/Admissions Counselor for the same college many years later & being an Army brat I saw as many if not more Ranger qualified that were not Infantry. Many many active duty Combat Arms officer I knew & know were Ranger qualified. Not all of them had jump wings or any badges except a single tab either. Also, after having been in three Sustainment Brigdes, a Signal Brigade, FORSCOM, USARC, & two Sustainment Commands & worked at Corps, Theatre Headquarters Special Staff, a Joint Assignment, & Department of The Army yadda yadda I saw that awards are on average given very way FAR more freely there than the Infantry Brigades, Armored Cavalry Regiment, TRADOC, Engineer Brigade, & Engineer Command. I had a verifiably weird career. Sorry to disagree with ya on the number of awards but my experience with a plethora of units during my career I saw that logistics units racked up the racks FAR more than my grunt time. I can personally account for Bronze Stars given out for washing the Generals car in Balad. Achievement Medals were awarded very frequently as well as ARCOMs. Im even embarrassed of my decorations from those not combat units because they were so easily given out. If he were branch detailed Id highly doubt he was an Infantry officer based on I see no EIB. Granted he couldve been put on profile before getting his EIB thus having to change branches but that wouldnt make sense considering his jump wings. Maybe there were holes from where on was that I cant see but with exception of ArNG & Reserves, an EIB & Ranger tab are crucial for a Company Grade Infantry Officer & have been for a long time. But iff he had an EIB he would have moved at least one badge to the flap. When I was a ROTC Cadet in the 90s (didnt commission but stayed in the ranks) I was adamantly told we wouldnt make Captain without a tab & EIB. They never really said much about jump school but most went while Cadets but some went to Ranger School without jumping. Now, there are exceptions to that with me knowing a particular exception of a classmate of mine later in life went to OCS, commissioned Infantry not by his choice, sent to Jump School, didnt pass his EIB attempts then Ranger twice without completing it then transitioned to the AG for it was his only chance to make Captain. But again Ranger definitely does not mean they were Infantry. From my experience he couldve very well been an Ordnance officer all along but if branch detailed I strongly suspect Armor or Arty rather than Infantry.

VolunteerArmoury

I saw the branch insignia & Regimental Affiliation. That indicates to me that he retired very early in 2008 which is when the Logistics Branch was formed & I can explain that in a moment or prior to 2008. In 2008 the Army established the Logistics Branch which an officer would go into upon completion of Captains Logistics Career Course or whatever it’s called now. That’s with exception of EOD officers unless that’s changed recently. So, a 2LT would commission into Ordnance, Transportation, or Quartermaster & do their initial branch training & ideally serve in lower level units of their branch then they would go to advanced training & then go into the Logistics Branch.

June 24, 2018 The Nativity of St John the Baptist

St. Leonard’s Port of Mauritius Catholic Church

Saturday June 30th there will be a burial service at 2:30pm at St Leonards cemetery for Harold “Pat” Marty, son of deceased parish members Harold and Mary Marty. Refreshments will be served during visitation 1:30pm to 2:30pm.

Please pray for the soul of Mr. Marty. Deacon Joe will officiate.

Harold (Harry - Pat) Marty

Chief, Strategic Planning/Performance Measures Branch at Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration

Atlanta, Georgia Government Administration

Current

Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration

Previous

Third Army, US Army Central (USARCENT), Fort McPherson, Georgia and Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle, PA, US Forces - Afghanistan (USFOR-A), Kabul, Afghanistan

Education

U.S. Army War College, Carlisle, PA,

Detailed Information

Chief, Strategic Planning/Performance Measures Branch

Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration

February 2011 – Present 7 years 9 months

Public Buildings Service, GSA, 77 Forsyth Str. SW-Suite 400, Atlanta, GA 30303

Third Army, US Army Central (USARCENT), Fort McPherson, Georgia and Camp Arifjan, Kuwait

Third Army, US Army Central (USARCENT), Fort McPherson, Georgia and Camp Arifjan, Kuwait

6 years 5 months

Chief of Logistics (G4) (Colonel)

June 2005 – October 2010 5 years 5 months

Fort McPherson, Atlanta, Georgia and Camp Arifjan, Kuwait

Graduate Student (Lieutenant Colonel)

U.S. Army War College, Carlisle, PA

June 2004 – June 2005 1 year 1 month

Carlisle, PA

US Forces - Afghanistan (USFOR-A), Kabul, Afghanistan

Director of Logistics (J4) (Colonel)

US Forces - Afghanistan (USFOR-A), Kabul, Afghanistan

February 2009 – September 2009 8 months

North Kabul Compound, Kabul, Afghanistan

24th Infantry Division and Fort Riley, Kansas

Chief of Logistics (G4) (Lieutenant Colonel)

24th Infantry Division and Fort Riley, Kansas

July 2003 – June 2004 1 year

Fort Riley, Kansas

125th Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Fort Riley, Kansas

Battalion Commander (Lieutenant Colonel)

125th Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Fort Riley, Kansas

May 2001 – July 2003 2 years 3 months

Fort Riley, Kansas

US European Command (EUCOM), Stuttgart, Germany

Strategic Planner - Logistics Plans Officer (Lieutenant Colonel)

US European Command (EUCOM), Stuttgart, Germany

June 1999 – May 2001 2 years

Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany

553rd Corps Support Battalion, 13th Corps Support Command, III Corps, Fort Hood, Texas

Executive Officer (Major)

553rd Corps Support Battalion, 13th Corps Support Command, III Corps, Fort Hood, Texas

June 1998 – June 1999 1 year 1 month

Fort Hood, Texas

13th Corps Support Command, III Corps, Fort Hood, Texas

Chief of Plans (Major)

13th Corps Support Command, III Corps, Fort Hood, Texas

June 1997 – June 1998 1 year 1 month

Fort Hood, Texas

Graduate Student / Command and General Staff College (Major), Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Graduate Student (Major)

Graduate Student / Command and General Staff College (Major)

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

July 1996 – June 1997 1 year

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

U.S. Army Operations Center, Pentagon, Washington, DC

Logistics Operations Officer (Major)

June 1995 – July 1996 1 year 2 months

Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), Pentagon, Washington, DC

Intern, Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD)

June 1994 – June 1995 1 year 1 month

US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM)

Plans & Operations Officer

US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM)

1992 – 1993 1 year

Fort McPherson, Georgia

Education

U.S. Army War College, Carlisle, PA,

Master of Strategic Studies

2004 – 2005

Florida Institute of Technology, National Capital Region Site, Alexandria, VA

Master of Science

1989 – 1995

Minnesota State University, Moorhead, MN

Bachelor of Science

1983 – 1984

North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND

Associate Degree

1979 – 1983

I just noticed there is an Ordnance Bomb on his collar of his BDU with Captain's rank.

That means it was possible he was in the Ordnance Branch from the beginning.

During his time in service, being detailed to a Combat Arms slot as a junior officer would have been unusual. That was more common in the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

Don't get me wrong. I was an Ordnance officer, so I am all for a logistics officer excelling. I just find the combination of qualification badges to be unusual, especially the Pathfinder wing. There does not seem to be much of a reason for a logistics officer to have that qualification.

But, it is what it is.

VolunteerArmoury

I think Ordnance is one of the most complex branches out there. Its a kinda unfortunate that the flaming bombs arent worn as far into a career as they used to be now that the Log Branch is out there. Branch details were very common in the 90s & 2000s. I dont know if they were common in the 80s or not. Most all of the cadets I commissioned were branch detailed. I presume it is still common. It definitely unique for him to have Pathfinder but the jump wings & Air Assualt arent surprising at all to me. Many a ROTC cadet have earned one or both before getting commissioned. Not all cadets but many. I would suspect he was support to a Special Operations unit hence the other opportunities for Pathfinder & his jump wings. But it is odd for Pathfinder though it is more readily available than back in the day. Im not sure how often Canadian jump wings are awarded but German ones are relatively common. Especially since the toy drop at Bragg gets ya Fallschirmjaeger wings. .

Officer rolls and headcount had dropped to a minimum (actually better described as downsized to the point of shortages) in the late 1970's and early 1980's, especially in Combat Service Support. I am thinking I may have known of one ordnance lieutenant who was detailed to a combat arms posting back then.

Jump wings and Air Assault were also not readily available to ROTC back then. Out of a class of about 40 I am thinking maybe 10 or less were sent from my class to Airborne school. (Air Assault was not available back then.)

So it all changed over time.

I had a political science and international affairs major in college. Perfect for Military Intelligence, right? Of course, I ended up in motor vehicle Ordnance. The only thing that saved me was what few mechanical skills I had learned to keep my motorcycle and my Dad's lawn mower running.

Actually the strangest posting I knew of was a friend who was an Arts major. Him and the wife had a craft loom set up in their quarters. His branch assignment: Construction Engineer. All I could figure was they thought since he could "draw" he would understand how to read "drawings"!

It's good that so many people on here are helping with all the information on the uniform, but to return to the original question, I would definitely rebuild the ribbon rack. It isn't as expensive as many of the people on here are making it out to be. I restore and rebuild ribbon racks for my uniforms, and it wouldn't be terribly expensive to do. I also happen to think the ribbon rack is the focal point of the uniform. While it may not have been his personal ribbon rack, buying modern-era ribbons is pretty much the same thing as if he would have done it himself, since they are all modern-era ribbons. If it's that big a concern, you can always slip a note card in the uniform that says the ribbon bar was reconstructed from an actual photo of his ribbon bar.

The most expensive single piece will probably be the DoD badge.

VolunteerArmoury

It's good that so many people on here are helping with all the information on the uniform, but to return to the original question, I would definitely rebuild the ribbon rack. It isn't as expensive as many of the people on here are making it out to be. I restore and rebuild ribbon racks for my uniforms, and it wouldn't be terribly expensive to do. I also happen to think the ribbon rack is the focal point of the uniform. While it may not have been his personal ribbon rack, buying modern-era ribbons is pretty much the same thing as if he would have done it himself, since they are all modern-era ribbons. If it's that big a concern, you can always slip a note card in the uniform that says the ribbon bar was reconstructed from an actual photo of his ribbon bar.

Ive rebuilt uniforms like that. Definitely see no reason to be bothered by doing that. Ive included their bio when I could find it. You could put a note in the pocket. An approach a friend of mine does if he gets thin ribbon sets rebuilt is have a label on the back of notating the restoration. Ive even rebuilt some of my own personal uniforms before giving them to some fellow collectors. If theres any help needed getting any decorations Id be happy to help & Im sure many others on here would too.

thanks for the advice.

Would you recommend a place to get it done?

Wow, I was reading this thread and realized I was in the USAWC with Harry during 2004-2005. Sorry to hear about his death. I knew him from the hallways, library and big blue bedroom (auditorium) at AWC. He liked to ask lots of questions and he was known as a "spring butt". Most likely he started out in Infantry and later due to injuries transitioned to Ordnance. I remember he had a pronounced limp in his walk most likely from wear and tear and damage to his body (hip/feet) from the Infantry and Abn communities. Does his obituary list any cause of death? I wonder if his death can be attributed to service in SWA and the numerous hazards which kill you later, burn pits, cancer, etc. RIP Harry.

Does his obituary list any cause of death?

Obituary

Colonel (Ret.) Harold Patrick Marty, 57, passed away May 9, 2018 at his home in Peachtree City, Georgia. A Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 EST on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Peachtree City, Georgia. The committal service will be held (DTA) at the St. Leonard's Cemetery in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota with Mr. Marty receiving full military honors. In lieu of flowers and gifts please donate to "The Eden Project" website https://www.eden-project.com/ Colonel Marty, the oldest of seven children was born March 17, 1961 in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota to Harold and Mary Marty. He served numerous overseas tours with wartime tours in Desert Storm, Iraq Freedom, and US Forces-Afghanistan. He retired as Colonel from the United States Army on November 1, 2009 with 30 years service. After retirement Mr. Marty worked at General Services Agency for four years. He had the following degrees: Master of Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College in 2005, Master of Science in Logistics from Florida Institute of Technology in 1995, Bachelor of Science Industrial Technology from Minnesota State University in 1984, and Associate Degree in Agriculture from North Dakota State University in 1983. Harold Marty also was an active volunteer in his church and with the Boy Scouts of America. Survivors include mother of the children Julie Marty of Peachtree City, Georgia; daughter Christina Marty of Atlanta, Georgia; son Alexander Marty of Statesboro, Georgia; Kathy (Randy) Josephson, Mary (Brian) Norberg, Jeanne (Bob) Gettel, Maggie (Brad) Johnson, Mike (Lori) Marty, Tony Marty and close friend Lisa Hunter.

Marty, Harold Patrick

Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from May 13 to May 14, 2018

May 17, 2018

Harry "Bulletproof" Marty. We were LT's together in the 82nd. I've had a picture hanging in my office for nearly 30 years that Harry signed. The picture was of me on the DZ just completing the jump that got me my Senior Wings. Harry signed it 1LT Harry "Bulletproof" Marty. We used to joke about the "bulletproof" all the time. Harry had the knack for diving right into anything, regardless of the flak flying around. God Speed, "All The Way"

Mike Van Rassen, Madison, AL

May 15, 2018

Harry was truly one of the best Lieutenants I ever served with. He was everything you could ask for as a soldier and a friend. He served with honor and valor throughout his career and was always there to the end when the going got tough. He was also one of the best Jump Masters I remember in the 782d Maintenance Battalion, 82d Airborne Division. If he was on the plane you knew it would be a good jump! I will miss your devious smile and sense of humor my friend, but I know your last jump was basking in God's warmth!!

COL ® Eddie Sasser

Eddie Sasser, Fayetteville, GA

May 14, 2018

To my boss and to my best friend a truly outstanding Soldier will truly be missed

Who I had the privilege to serve with our last years in the military together before we both retired the same day from the same command

Ranger God bless you truly be missed my friend rest in peace

To the family our thought & prayers go out to the family.

Kenneth Eady (RET SGM )

Kenneth Eady, FT McPherson, GA

May 14, 2018

A great American & soldier. Best boss I ever had in my 46 year association with the U.S. ARMY. A great leader who cared about his soldiers & civilians & an amazing logistician. My thought & prayers go out to the family.

Michael Ferrara, Jonesboro, GA

May 14, 2018

One of the best leaders I have ever served under. A kind man and honest man. Godspeed, COL Marty.

Cyndi Macleod, Camden, SC

AZnation, thank you for including the obituary. 57 yrs old, way to young to die. Cause of death not listed.

He should be enjoying his family and retirement. Sad, RIP Harry.

You're welcome. I agree, way to young. From the sentiments posted following the obit, he sounded like he was a really great man. So sad...RIP

Fratlanta,

I'll be more than happy to do it for you. I am certain that I have almost all, if not all, the ribbons you will need among my ribbon collection. I should also have a large enough ribbon bar that should be able to fit them all. I'll get started on it and I won't charge you for it. You'll just have to come up with any missing ribbons on your own. PM me with your contact information and we'll be in tuoch that way.

Fratlanta,

I'll be more than happy to do it for you. I am certain that I have almost all, if not all, the ribbons you will need among my ribbon collection. I should also have a large enough ribbon bar that should be able to fit them all. I'll get started on it and I won't charge you for it. You'll just have to come up with any missing ribbons on your own. PM me with your contact information and we'll be in tuoch that way.

Fantastic!

That's one of the reason why I love this forum so much. The dedication and knowledge of some of its members is just amazing.

Thanks a bunch