WW1 Patch 45th Division ?

tony75

Hello

What are your thoughts on this patch or what ever it may be?

It measures about 3.75 x 4.50 inches

It came with a bunch of U.S. Patches

Thank you

Tony

post-4925-0-57123400-1540306413_thumb.jpeg

Marchville1918

I believe that it is for the 59th Pioneer Infantry. I have a unit history for it and that symbol is on the front of the book.

Almost looks like it was cut from a western themed blanket (Pendleton or Hudsay Bay). Swastika's were a favorite symbol on Navajo Rugs, Saddle Blankets, Spurs, Chaps, Saddles up until the 1930's.

The 45th Division was not activated until 1924 and their original yellow and red swastika patch was approved also in 1924. Rules this out as a WW I patch.

59th Pioneer Infantry patches exist as blue swastikas on yellow squares worn point up (ASMIC Trading Post Oct-Dec 1999). I cannot vouch for seeing one on a uniform, but one is depicted on the cover of their WW I unit hx (Trading Post Oct-Dec 1999). There are also loose examples depicted in the article.

There were several black field artillery regiments in the 92nd Div in WW 1 which wore swastikas (some facing the wrong way) in color combinations (different than the post WW 1 45th Div) but all have a disk in the center of the swastika (Trading Post Oct-Dec 1999).

The style of manufacturer is different than any other WW I or even WW II patch I have ever seen.

I agree wit ludwight1980 that this is probably cut from a blanket to fool a collector.

Gotta agree on the cut down blanket idea. The Pendleton museum has several blankets with this design and same colors on them. Wife sold one last year with pink and yellow (!!) swastikas on it! Sorry no pics for proof. Should be able to find a few pics on line.