WWI era Military Police baton

TrenchRat

Good day all,

Does anyone here have any information on WWI era Military Police batons or Billy clubs?

I am looking to see what they were made of, the styles and if there was any type of frog that may have held them to a belt.

Thanks in advance,

TR

There was no standard issued or regulation club in WWI. Some units had what appears

to have been civilian police clubs and others have every shape and size you can imagine.

Here's one. It's made of oak, and 18 inches long. It belonged to my Uncle's (by marriage) father who used it in WWI, with a Massachusetts outfit. It used to have a leather wrap around the grip (white leather) with thin leather straps to wrap around the wrist. Over the years it fell off and is lost.

Steve

post-1105-0-29828400-1540247025_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-80325100-1540247339.jpg

post-1105-0-99054100-1540247375.jpg

MP25,

Thanks for the pictures, love those. My club looks like it could fit right in with that group (post #6).

I see that none of the MPs in those photos have any way to carry the club, outside of looping the lanyard over the mag pouch.

I am curious if there was ever any provision to have any sort of carrier...?

MP25,

Thanks for the info. I ask b/c I recently purchased a baton with a carrier that seems to have been made from an old leather bayonet scabbard. Former owner claims it was made from the upper portion of a trapdoor bayonet scabbard to be exact.

Wasn't sure what to make of it, but the 1912 mounted belt it came with was worth the price I paid for the entire set...

Thanks...

TR

world war I nerd

WW I MP with batons … note the white on blue MP Brassards.

I'm still trying to figure out if there was any significant difference between the white on blue MP Brassards and the more common Red on Black MP Brassards. Or why (and when) the Army a changed from white initials to red initials?

Does anybody know???

post-5143-0-40795400-1540658629_thumb.jpg

Originally U. S. MPs wore the navy blue or black brassard with white lettering. At sometime early

in the war, we adopted the British colors, black band with red letters.

world war I nerd

I've also read that the AEF adopted the British MP Brassard colors overseas. The British Army seemed to have had a different brassard for just about every military activity that you can think of. In late 1917, or early 1918, the AEF followed suite and adopted a number of the British style brassards, and some from the French Army as well. As near as I can tell the majority of the adopted brassards were authorized to only be used by AEF.

Because of that policy, I wonder if the British MP Brassard colors were authorized only for AEF personnel or if that color change extended to the rest of the Army scattered across the United States and throughout its foreign possessions.

Period photos seem to show a mix of the two colors being worn both overseas and here in the states.

It would be nice if some documentation explaining the above would turn up to help clarify things.

Proof is in the pudding! I enjoy coming over here and looking through many of these threads, so many excellent vintage images. Images are impeachable. I don't even collect WWI but am fascinated about the learning experience from the conversations that transpire in this forum.

Alleged WW I era MP baton frog.

Hi WWINerd,

That looks to be the leather frog for an AK/AKM bayonet; from the cold war era. I have seen these on bayonets advertised as Romanian manufacture. So I think we can rule this one out as a WWI piece, unless it just happens to strongly resemble the AK/AKM frog.

RC