HS-8 SPH-3 helmet Mid 80s vintage

horridohutch

Its been awhile since I have had anything worthwhile to post.

I found this SPH-3 helmet from HS-8 here locally at North Island Naval Air Station. They flew the SH-3 Sea King helicopter. Has the original owners initials JD on the back. Cool thing is that I may have known this guy! I was in HSL-35 at the same time this helmet would have been used. Quite possible we were in school together because I knew a guy that went by JD during training. Helmet is 100% complete although the foam in the earcups has seen better days, which is normal. Glad to finally found something worthwhile after a long drought.

post-133566-0-29511700-1540167027_thumb.jpg

post-133566-0-50450800-1540167047_thumb.jpg

NIce piece. Man the Navy always gets me with their numerous ways to set up headset and mic cords on their helmets. Must be at least half a dozen different setups between different helmets and the various aircraft types. USAF and Army have a standard and then 2 other styles. Must be lots of Pig Tail adapter cords in the USN/USMC

• 2 years later...

I was searching the web for SPH-3 examples, and this video came to me this evening, and I immediately made the connection with your helmet I had seen a couple of days ago.
Looks like the diver who offered him the shell served at the same period in HS-8, for the decoration appears very similar to yours ! (top / rear red chevrons, 8-ball, and the red "boomerang" shape on the visor housing).

Terrific example, by the way (I wasn't member of the forum when you posted this one).