WWI 5th Marine Regiment WIA Grouping

GIKyle

Last week I opened my email to send a note to the picker regarding this group to gauge whether or not he saw more items being found. Turns out an email from him was waiting with a few more items. First was his wedding invitation. Initially I was not too interested until I saw the date was right before he shipped out to France. I immediately became nostalgic for all my soldiers who made similar decisions on the eve of deployment and bought it. Also found were additional pages of the photo album. A couple shots featured the vet and his bride. Also included was a leather wallet embossed with his initials. I wonder if this was a wedding present given the cowboy motif.

post-537-0-67699100-1541635234_thumb.jpgpost-537-0-00928400-1541635234_thumb.jpg

post-537-0-76095100-1541635256_thumb.jpg

This photo was neat because he's wearing the 104th Company Pin on his campaign hat - A similar pin came with the first batch of items last month.

post-537-0-39932500-1541635481_thumb.jpg

Kyle, this group just keeps getting better. I had a similar experience when I found my Holy Grail in 2015, also a Mont Blanc grouping to a WWI USMC Marine Lt, who was awarded the DSC, PH, etc. Take it from me, grab anything, and I mean anything that might surface related to your grouping, no matter how insignificant it might seem, you will not regret it later. Every small momento and piece of paper ultimately help you tell the story of this Marine, and assists with your research and helps bring the whole group to life. Although my group contains the exact same patch you found, dog tags, his medals, citations, etc., I think I appreciate his marriage certificates, personal letters and correspondence, promotional documents and the like just as much as it personalized the story that much more. Congrats again and thanks for sharing this amazing grouping. Kevin

Great grouping, Kyle! They always saved those blouse buttons.... sewed them on the Army blouses to set themselves apart. No self respecting Devil Dog wants to be confused with being a garden variety Doggie!

Semper Fi,

Beef

• 2 weeks later...

Received his file thanks to Matt (2ndInfDiv) - Had another photo of him as well as all the documentation for his 1943 issued Purple Heart. Paperwork also confirmed the number of his Good Conduct Medal. I've tried pulling a couple pages from the PDF but they resized to the point of being unreadable.

Kyle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Don't know how I missed this one! What a great group & save, Kyle. Congrats on your sucess at keeping it all together. As has been said to me by a family member of a group in my collection, "Because of you his memory will endure which is more than can be said for most of us." Bob

• 3 weeks later...