WWI 5th Marine Regiment WIA Grouping

GIKyle

This grouping escalated quickly.

It started with the below named Purple Heart on eBay. The seller had a low starting price but accepted BINs. I threw in an offer and forgot about it over the course of the work day. Checked my email later, and the seller put in a counter-offer, which I accepted. It wasn't until that time that I looked at his other auctions and noticed the other military items were WWI USMC-related. Through conversation with the seller I ascertained that the items all belonged to the same vet, and that the seller was working with the family to liquidate the estate.

I expressed my desire to keep the items together and we worked out a price for all the items. Just with those, I thought I had saved an excellent WWI Marine Corps group.

post-537-0-09115700-1540149391.jpgpost-537-0-06510200-1540149392.jpg

The seller came back a day or so later asking if I was interested in WWI photos. At first, I thought he was just trying to sell all his military stuff off eBay. Turns out, it was a disintegrating photo album to the Marine, so we added that to the group. Next day, he came back with a newspaper article bearing a photo of the vet that discussed him being wounded along with some miscellaneous metal insignia. I don't know if anything else will turn up, but I am pretty happy to have saved a pretty substantial group. I hope you enjoy.

post-537-0-42278400-1540149657_thumb.jpgpost-537-0-33784500-1540149658.jpg

Kyle, that is a great save and wonderful collection. WWI Marine groupings are so tough to find. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing. Kevin

Beautiful and very complete WWI Marine Corps group. Could you tell me what the number is on his good conduct medal? Thank you.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Outstanding group. Azzie Hurst 43rd Co. 2nd Bn 5th Marines was wounded by a gunshot wound to the left forearm Oct. 4, 1918 at Blanc Mont when the 5th Marines assaulted through 'The Box' it was the worst single day loss for the Marine Corps in WWI, surpassing even June 6, 1918. 2/5 led the assault and suffered horrendous casualties.