World War One Monuments

Croix de Guerre

General Apathy

post-344-1229505345.jpg

Thanks to ' oldfireguy' for posting this most life-like memorial depicting the various branches of service.

I like the composition of the memorial but also the wearing of the uniform and equipment.

I also enjoyed the other monuments that have been posted by other members and will be looking on the internet

to see if I can find more information on those ones as well.

It is entitled ' Winged Victory ' and stands in Washington State Capitol Campus, it was designed by Victor Alonzo Lewis, and was unveiled in 1938.

Whilst looking for information on this monument I came across a collection of WWI links under this one page for which the link is shown below, I hope that it works, if not however please try cut and paste into your search.

http://uk.ask.com/web?q=world+war+one+memo...0000533&c=1

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy
post-344-1229505345.jpg

Take a look at photos of it being erected in 1938, quite interesting site

Thanks to ' oldfireguy' for posting this most life-like memorial depicting the various branches of service.

I like the composition of the memorial but also the wearing of the uniform and equipment.

It is entitled ' Winged Victory ' and stands in Washington State Capitol Campus, it was designed by Victor Alonzo Lewis, and was unveiled in 1938.

Whilst looking for information on WWI monuments I came across a website giving details that the monument above has been undergoing a two year restoration work and re-finishing process, however what is really interesting are photographs of the monument being erected in 1938. Take a look at this it has the wooden scaffolding, workmen in late thirties clothing, automobiles, and the figures being winched up individually and put into place, fantastic that it was all recorded as it was being erected.

Link is shown below, I hope that it works, if not however please try cut and paste into your search.

http://www.ga.wa.gov/Campus/WingedVictory.htm

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hello.

Here is the monument located in the village of Flirey, west of Pont à Mousson.It symbolizes the liberation of the region in September 1918 by U.S. troops.

In my area, south of St. Mihiel salient (Toul), it is not monuments missing

regards solcarlus.

post-241-1229673435.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Hello.

Here is the monument located in the village of Flirey, west of Pont à Mousson.It symbolizes the liberation of the region in September 1918 by U.S. troops.

In my area, south of St. Mihiel salient (Toul), it is not monuments missing

regards solcarlus.

post-241-1229673435.jpg

Thank you very much! I had hoped our European members would post photos of American monuments many of us here in the States never get to see.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much! I had hoped our European members would post photos of American monuments many of us here in the States never get to see.

Thanks again!

Here is a nice website where you can look at the most known US WWI monuments in Europe.

They are also a lot of small stones or plaques layed down by the families during the 20ies, I have some pictures but ' paper" ones

I need to scan and will post them soon here

Regards

T

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/monument.htm

Here is a view of my local WWI monument. The Liberty Memorial in Kansas City. http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/index.aspx

liberty001_image002.jpg

Liberty Memorial is the site of the US National World War I Museum. This complex sits outside the downtown train station in KC where generations of soldiers went off to war and returned home. As one walks out of the doors of the train station you see the memorial ahead of you on top of a hill. The central pillar is a 21 story observation tower with an elevator and it is lit at night with smoke rising from it as it functions as an eternal flame. Well worth the visit for anyone in the Kansas City area.

hello croix de guerre.

We are an association which aims to entren monuments and site of our rérion war. That of Flirey was supported by the community.

Monument to the 5 th DIUS to Limey to Pnt à Mousson road. two friends," I shoot".

post-241-1229717236.jpg

General Apathy

Thanks again!

Sorry Flashheart old man, I live in the wrong part of France for WWI monuments, everything round here is WWII..

Enjoyed the post though, and look forward to seeing others being posted here.

Toodle pip old bean

Cheers ( Lewis )

Here is a nice website where you can look at the most known US WWI monuments in Europe.

They are also a lot of small stones or plaques layed down by the families during the 20ies, I have some pictures but ' paper" ones

I need to scan and will post them soon here

Regards

T

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/monument.htm

And I have changed my computer which was working under " XP" for a " Vista'" one...... my scanner does not work with this &@6%* VISTA programme

Thank you Mr Gates

Will do the scans at the office next monday

T

• 2 weeks later...
Any one else know of any more monuments? Stateside or abroad?

I know of a couple but unfortunately cannot locate my photos to post. There's a neat monument with stone columns and a metal archway in the city park within the little town of Palouse, WA. It's got a metal plaque with local WW1 casualty names on it. Also, in Fort Walla Walla park in Walla Walla, WA there are two French artillery pieces that were used by US forces. Can't remember what exactly they are but they are big, long barreled towed guns. There's a plaque there also with a French inscription. Wish I could those photos!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the monument dedicated to the members of the American North Russia Expeditionary Forces (ANREF)--the true "Polar Bears.". It is located in White Chapel Cemetery in Royal Oak, Michigan. The burials immediately surrounding the monument are the dead brought back from Russia in 1929-30. Surrounding them are burials of other veterans who died in the years since. My Grandfather was a member of the ANREF (337th Ambulance Company) and regularly attended memorial services and funerals of the vets.

post-211-1232418310.jpg

post-211-1232418351.jpg

Croix de Guerre

That has got to be one of the coolest memorials I have ever seen. :blink: Thank you so much for sharing it with us! thumbsup.gif This is the kind of stuff I had hoped to see when I started this thread! Awesome!

Thanks for alerting me to this Croix de Guerre -

Here are a couple from New Jersey....First Madison, New Jersey

post-4331-1232452588.jpg

The Mother of All WW I Monuments in NJ - Montclair....

On 11 November 1925, seven years after the armistice which marked the end of World War One, the residents of Montclair, New Jersey gathered in a small park between Edgemont Avenue and Valley Road. Those who attended the event would see the unveiling of a singular monument dedicated to the 71 sons of Montclair who had fallen during The Great War.

The Reverand E.M. Farrell from the Church of the Immaculate Conception gave the invocation immediately followed by "America" sung by a massed chorus accompanied by the military bands form the U.S. Army. Lt. Philip James, the leader of General Pershing's Own Band, conducted. Tributes from the Army and Navy followed.

Lt. Carlos M. Fetterolf, who was on the Veterans War Memorial Committee and who had served in France during the war, read the roll of honor of the fallen sons of Montclair. In a singularly poignant moment, Master Walter Ten Eyck Weed, 2nd, son of Lt. (jg) Walter Ten Eyck Weed who had himself been killed rescueing a fellow pilot from his burning airplane, pulled the cord which unveiled the monument.

The French Military Attache to Washington, Brigadier General Dumont then read a tribute from the people of France. Mayor W.H. Areson accepted the memorial as the military bands sprang into the "Star Spangled Banner".

Designed and sculted by Charles Keck, the monument was rasied through the voluntary contributions of the residents and businesses and the town of Montclair. It's base and facings are of Dummerston granite while the flowing sculptures of Liberty and Columbia were executed in bronze by the moler Anton Kunst.

The monument, unchanged since it's 1925 unveiling, is perhaps the singular most beautiful and appropriate memorial erected anywhere in New Jersey.

post-4331-1232452764.jpg