World War One Monuments

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

Just an idea,,if you have or know of any WWI monuments in your town or in your travels,,snap a shot of them and post them here. Let's keep this thread to WWI so if you have any shots of WW2, Korea, Span-Am or Civil War, etc. let's put them in a thread of their own. thumbsup.gif

Here is the World War One Victory Arch in Huntington, West Virginia.

post-3356-1228683331.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Just an idea,,if you have or know of any WWI monuments in your town or in your travels,,snap a shot of them and post them here. Let's keep this thread to WWI so if you have any shots of WW2, Korea, Span-Am or Civil War, etc. let's put them in a thread of their own. thumbsup.gif

post-3356-1228683435.jpg

Croix de Guerre

post-3356-1228684828.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Here is a very cool monument in France, dedicated to the men of the American Ambulance Field Service.

Pont-Aux-Mousson, Lorraine, France

post-3356-1228751512.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Here is a very cool monument in France, dedicated to the men of the American Ambulance Field Service.

Pont-Aux-Mousson, Lorraine, France

post-3356-1228751532.jpg

The tablet on the Pont a Moussons monument, in Post 6, reads:

"This fountain is dedicated to the memory of the volunteers of the American Ambulance [service] who died for France, 1914-1917, and were entrusted to the care of the heroic town of Pont a Mousson. [dedicated] 27 September 1931

Andrei, if I've translated incorrectly, please correct me!

Thrasher

The tablet on the Pont a Moussons monument, in Post 6, reads:

"This fountain is dedicated to the memory of the volunteers of the American Ambulance [service] who died for France, 1914-1917, and were entrusted to the care of the heroic town of Pont a Mousson. [dedicated] 27 September 1931

Andrei, if I've translated incorrectly, please correct me!

Thrasher

You are right on the money !

Croix de Guerre
The Pershing - Lafayette monument in Versailles.

post-467-1229027551.jpg

For those who can read french, here is the link to the very sad and shameful story of this monument :

http://www.asrieupe.org/IMG/pdf/Histoire_d...g_Lafayette.pdf

Andrei,

For those of us who can't read French (which is the majority I would guess); Could you tell us some of the sad and shameful history you spoke of?

And thank you for the post! Merci Mon Ami thumbsup.gif

This is the WWI Memorial in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. It's located in the middle of the road so, I got a shot from both sides. Private donations keep the flame burning.

USMF_3_009.jpg

USMF_3_005.jpg

Across the street from the large memorial is a cemetery with a memorial to just one young man that died during WWI but, it really stands out and is very unique.

USMF_3_001.jpg

USMF_3_004.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Wow! Very, very nice but so sad as well. Years ago I was at a funeral for my wife's grandpa. He was buried at the old family cemetery way up on a mountain top near Philippi, West Virginia. I remember there was a large crypt and tablet honoring the life of a young man who was killed in the Argonne. It was the only one of its kind and must have cost a fortune. It dawned on me that this was the physical manifestation of that family’s grief over the loss of their child. I didn't truly understand that until now that I have a son of my own.

A Doughboy memorial in front of the post office on S. Main Street in Beaver, Utah.

post-1963-1229453019.jpg

This title of this sculpture is the "Spirit of the American Doughboy" It was sculpted by Ernest Moore "Dick" Viquesney, a native of Indiana. There are approximately 136 of these in the US. For more information on this Hoosier see: http://doughboy_lamp.tripod.com/id8.html

Croix de Guerre
This title of this sculpture is the "Spirit of the American Doughboy" It was sculpted by Ernest Moore "Dick" Viquesney, a native of Indiana. There are approximately 136 of these in the US. For more information on this Hoosier see: http://doughboy_lamp.tripod.com/id8.html

I was just going to say that I have seen that one before. Very cool,,looks like he lost his bayonet though. crying.gif

...this sculpture is the "Spirit of the American Doughboy" It was sculpted by Ernest Moore "Dick" Viquesney, a native of Indiana. There are approximately 136 of these in the US....

Thanks, Beast...and I thought I was seeing a unique work of art. Now I know. It appears that the verified sightings of this statue have grown to 138, including the one at Beaver, Utah (link here to see more about the Beaver statue). Now that I know there are at least 137 more of these Doughboys in America, I'll look a few of them up next time I am rambling round the back roads of the Mainland.