What were you issued, and why? ACH, LWH or ECH?

BSRmilitaria

Hi guys,

I am trying to understand current issue US military helmets and how they are issued. If I were to join the US army today, there is no chance I could be issued an M1. So why are we seeing service members being issued TC2000 and ACH helmets while the ECH helmet is out. This year alone with US Army ROTC program in Florida I have even seen one guy with a PASGT!

Moving towards the USMC, I have also seen LWH being issue, as well as ACH and ECH helmets all at the same time.

My ultimate question is, how does the military decide who is issued which variant of helmet and why? Is it by luck that I would be issued an ECH, should I hope for an ACH with trauma sensors instead of a TC2000?

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Take care,

William

post-170153-0-61785400-1539899923_thumb.jpg

You will get whatever they decide you should have.

The marines and the Army have gone separate ways on which helmet for their own reasons.

You may also find out that different types of units get different helmets (at least in the Army).

National Guard usually gets current or one generation old equipment, Reserves are often even farther down the pipeline, and again, it depends on the type of unit. A reserve component infantry unit will probably (but not always)get better/newer stuff than a reserve component support unit. ROTC gets leftovers, Junior ROTC is lucky to get anything.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

USMC plans to issue all Marines ECHs eventually, but it takes time so until then they continue to wear the LWH.

Because the army is so much larger, for cost reasons they will not issue everyone an ECH. Instead everyone is issued ACH, which I think may eventually be replaced by the ACH II, and deploying units will be issued ECHs, which they will return once their deployment is over.

Sometimes lots of helmets are recalled due to ballistic problems. I recall when I was still in that we had to check our helmets based on the NSN or lots numbers to determine if they had been manufactured incorrectly. I don't think this completely answers the original question, but sometimes equipment does get recalled and reissued with the appropriate equipment.

I was issued a ACH that was light green in color with a UCP camouflage helmet cover. Why, well because that is what CIF gave me. I spray painted OD green though.

While there is much more in details, here is a very basic timeline history to try and understand -

Started out in 1997 between the U.S.Special Operations Command and the French helmet maker CGF GALLET to come up with a ballistic helmet to take the place of the Pro-tec type plastic helmets that would provide protection and support radio equipment. This became the Tactical Combat 2000, Modular Integrated Communications Helmet (TC 2000 MICH) in 1999 and issued slowly to Special Ops and Rangers. The Army liked it and thought maybe at some point it would be issued Army wide in the future.

With the IED threat in Iraq the MICH was rushed into full service under the Rapid Fielding Inititive. Three companies were chosen to produce the MICH and were RFIed under their own company names - MSA (TC2000), Gentex (TBH-II), Specialty Defense (Warrior). These included their own company chinstraps and in the color Camouflage Green #483.

At the same time the Army was type classing the MICH into a single variation with common parts which would now be known as the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH) in 2005. This now included the new color of Foliage Green #504.

Over time the Aramid Kevlar used Level IIIA rating of the ACH (9mm protection) would be able to be produced in newer hybrid and plastics making the helmet lighter in weight with the same rating resulting in the LW-ACH and the ACH GEN-II.

The Lightweight Marine Corps Helmet (LWMCH) began testing in 1999 and issued in 2003 on a small scale, with the same protection of the MICH the LWMCH or LWH as it was known was tested against it but most marines at the time liked the fuller head coverage during testing and it was adopted and began full issue in 2004.

General Conway of the Marine Corps challenged industry in 2007 to produce a helmet to withstand an AK-47 hit with the high sniper threats which would eventually lead to the Enhanced Combat Helmet (ECH). After much delay it entered service in late 2014 with production lots alternating between Marines and Army. The USMC would trade out the ECH to those deploying. In 2017 the Marine Corps received funding to fully equip with the ECH and slowly replace the LWMCH.

The Army still uses the ECH like the USMC along with the ACH, LWACH and ACH GEN-II, but is now in the process at looking to possibly replace all in the future with the Integrated Head Protection System (IHPS) multi piece helmet including base helmet, mandible, appliqué crown armor, and ballistic eye shield. A one helmet multi faceted design for all roles.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks guys for the input! It is nice to hear what you all think on the topic. This definitely helps me better understand the process of being issued a helmet.

Thanks again!

William

While there is much more in details, here is a very basic timeline history to try and understand -

Started out in 1997 between the U.S.Special Operations Command and the French helmet maker CGF GALLET to come up with a ballistic helmet to take the place of the Pro-tec type plastic helmets that would provide protection and support radio equipment. This became the Tactical Combat 2000, Modular Integrated Communications Helmet (TC 2000 MICH) in 1999 and issued slowly to Special Ops and Rangers. The Army liked it and thought maybe at some point it would be issued Army wide in the future.

With the IED threat in Iraq the MICH was rushed into full service under the Rapid Fielding Inititive. Three companies were chosen to produce the MICH and were RFIed under their own company names - MSA (TC2000), Gentex (TBH-II), Specialty Defense (Warrior). These included their own company chinstraps and in the color Camouflage Green #483.

At the same time the Army was type classing the MICH into a single variation with common parts which would now be known as the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH) in 2005. This now included the new color of Foliage Green #504.

Over time the Aramid Kevlar used Level IIIA rating of the ACH (9mm protection) would be able to be produced in newer hybrid and plastics making the helmet lighter in weight with the same rating resulting in the LW-ACH and the ACH GEN-II.

The Lightweight Marine Corps Helmet (LWMCH) began testing in 1999 and issued in 2003 on a small scale, with the same protection of the MICH the LWMCH or LWH as it was known was tested against it but most marines at the time liked the fuller head coverage during testing and it was adopted and began full issue in 2004.

General Conway of the Marine Corps challenged industry in 2007 to produce a helmet to withstand an AK-47 hit with the high sniper threats which would eventually lead to the Enhanced Combat Helmet (ECH). After much delay it entered service in late 2014 with production lots alternating between Marines and Army. The USMC would trade out the ECH to those deploying. In 2017 the Marine Corps received funding to fully equip with the ECH and slowly replace the LWMCH.

The Army still uses the ECH like the USMC along with the ACH, LWACH and ACH GEN-II, but is now in the process at looking replacing all with the Integrated Head Protection System (IHPS) multi piece helmet including base helmet, mandible, appliqué crown armor, and ballistic eye shield. A one helmet multi faceted design for all roles.

Hope this all makes sense.

That does 100%! Thank you for the very detailed information!!

William

I turned in a PASGT at a turn in point and got a sized ACH and accessories. Moved over and digitally signed for all the newly issued predeployment gear.

A couple of years later we got newer ACH helmets and different colored pads and I again turned in the old one and got a new one plus new accessories. In Afghanistan I went thru another RFI(rapid fielding) and got Multicam stuff to replace my ACU stuff.

Neither time did I know nor do I now know who made them or what the lot# or anything except that they were whatever was most current.

I turned in a PASGT at a turn in point and got a sized ACH and accessories. Moved over and digitally signed for all the newly issued predeployment gear.

A couple of years later we got newer ACH helmets and different colored pads and I again turned in the old one and got a new one plus new accessories. In Afghanistan I went thru another RFI(rapid fielding) and got Multicam stuff to replace my ACU stuff.

Neither time did I know nor do I now know who made them or what the lot# or anything except that they were whatever was most current.

Very good to know! Thanks RHscott.

William

juodonnell2012

Currently in Afghanistan and I'm using an ACH, but I'm seeing more and more of our guys with either ECH helmets or Highcut helmets. Right now it's really just a mixed bag. Posted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

In the 9 years my son was in the Army until his medical discharge, he had a PASGT, MICH & ACH. During the first gulf war, some National Guard units arrived in Saudi Arabia wearing M-1's with the choc/chip desert covers.

The military cannot make changes overnight so, things like helmets are phased in based on need. If you are special forces, you get the new stuff right away. If you are a cook in National Guard communication unit... you may still be the proud owner of a PASGT.

Currently in Afghanistan and I'm using an ACH, but I'm seeing more and more of our guys with either ECH helmets or Highcut helmets. Right now it's really just a mixed bag. 4017ccaadc5b962f8e8bcb326ffda6dd.jpg

Firstly, thank you for your service and stay safe! Secondly great helmet and information. Did you paint the helmet your self? If so why did you choose a custom paint job vs your helmet cover?

Take care,

William

In the 9 years my son was in the Army until his medical discharge, he had a PASGT, MICH & ACH. During the first gulf war, some National Guard units arrived in Saudi Arabia wearing M-1's with the choc/chip desert covers.

The military cannot make changes overnight so, things like helmets are phased in based on need. If you are special forces, you get the new stuff right away. If you are a cook in National Guard communication unit... you may still be the proud owner of a PASGT.

Ha! Thank you for the additional information.

William

juodonnell2012

Firstly, thank you for your service and stay safe! Secondly great helmet and information. Did you paint the helmet your self? If so why did you choose a custom paint job vs your helmet cover? 

Take care,

William 

Hey William, we're allowed to paint our helmets so what we did was laid all the helmets out and spray painted them all at once. Nothing fancy just a quick coating.

I was issued an ACH for basic, then traded that for a PASGT in AIT. When I got to my unit i was issued an ACH and wore that the entire rest of my time in service. The TC2000 is indistinguishable from an ACH for all intents and purposes, so you see them issues as an ACH.