A while back I picked up an M1 that was totally stripped except for the interior, and it's been a project for a while. I've removed most of the primer paint that was put in it by the previous owner but have added some of my own to prevent rust., And rust removal being something I've done a lot of to this shell.

While I don't have any OD paint, I decided to do a test on a new type of material I can use instead of corking as I'm using what I have mostly at hand instead of purchasing a cork kit off the internet.

I thought I would post a bit of the process even though the paint isn't all too dry, just to see your guy's opinions on how the corking looks. Thanks!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Off the rack spray paint. Although I feel like it might be a little too light in color.

It is difficult to truly tell from pictures, but it looks correct. Most original used helmets people see/have are used and are 70+ years old so the paint is darkened. But there is some mint unissued ones around that pretty well show the true lighter color. I've had some chances at some in the past but didn't have the money at the time.

Andrew

Wow. That is one of the best jobs Ive seen. The texture is distributed nicely and the paint looks good. I should have taken more ship classes in high school ?

Craig

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

Seeing this get another comment I figured it'd be good to post what I've done to it since. I put on some chinstraps.. Well held them on, unless you count bread bag ties as sewing.

I also decided to try and paint this one up. The Lieutenant marks are temporary. I had an idea for another helmet of mine to be turned into a 5th ESB shell but that's not happening anytime soon (the refurb in general I mean). So this one will be what I'm using.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image