need help authenticating, duffel bag, musette bag and web gear

ABN-ATW

That stuff is your dad’s gear! Go get it!

You are so dang fortunate to find this.

Ronnie

You're right Ronnie, I have to a least make an offer and see what happens..

That is something that doesn't happen every day. I feel like the odds of them being authentic are higher since it was a chance occurence you found them, I would be much more suspicious regardless of how they looked if the individual had sought you out and solicited them to you.

I feel the same way Ray.. They do look like the 'real deal' and the printing on that musette bag looks very much like my dads.. Thanks to all that responded to my question.. I appreciate it!

Did your dad make the jump into Sicily during Op Husky?

Yes. Husky II on 11 July 1943. He also made the Operation Avalanche jump at Salerno..

stealthytyler

Yes. Husky II on 11 July 1943. He also made the Operation Avalanche jump at Salerno..

Was he part of the 504th that got shot down by friendly fire over the beach of Gela Sicily?

Was he part of the 504th that got shot down by friendly fire over the beach of Gela Sicily?

yep.. but he made it to the ground in one piece.. although he landed on a grape vine stake and lacerated his leg.. the laceration was minor and not serious enough to take him out of combat..

The Baugnez Historic Center contacted me, and since I had told them that my dad wasn't with the 504th PIR during the Battle of the Bulge, they said they were not going to be displaying any of the items. In that the original Ebay seller had misrepresented that fact that the items were carried by my dad during the Bulge he has agreed to refund the purchase. I asked the Historic Center if they would be willing to sell them to me instead of returning them and they said that they would. The price for the grouping that they are asking is 2500 euros [$2865]. That's a whole lot of dough for me to lay out. So my question to you guys on the forum is what do you think is 'fair market' value of this grouping [or any grouping like this]? and would you like to see better provenance before spending that kind of money? I'm trying to make this decision with my head and not my heart.. any input is greatly appreciated..

I think the stuff is your dad’s. The writing matches as far as I’m concerned. If it was my dad’s I don’t care how much it is.....I would beg, borrow or, well I wouldn’t steal but I would get the money and buy it. Negotiate with them. Maybe the guys here would be willing to donate something to help you come up with the cash. I will commit to a donation if others will.....I would throw in $100 to help you. It’s that important to me. It’s your dad’s gear and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hope I’m not out of line with this proposition.

Ronnie

I think the stuff is your dad’s. The writing matches as far as I’m concerned. If it was my dad’s I don’t care how much it is.....I would beg, borrow or, well I wouldn’t steal but I would get the money and buy it. Negotiate with them. Maybe the guys here would be willing to donate something to help you come up with the cash. I will commit to a donation if others will.....I would throw in $100 to help you. It’s that important to me. It’s your dad’s gear and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hope I’m not out of line with this proposition.

Ronnie

Thanks for your kind offer Ronnie.. You're the second person that has told me they would donate to help me get this gear.. I appreciate it brother, but I think I'm going to try the negotiation route first.. and no you're not out of line with the offer of help. The offers I've received speak volumes about the generosity of the members of this forum..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my sister and I received our dads gear in good order a couple of days ago.. Here are a couple pictures she sent me of markings in the musette bag and on the web belt.. Any help identifying the manufacturer or other help with what the marking might mean is appreciated... Also the duffle bag had another name and ASN stenciled on it.. The stencil is very faint and the best I can make out it looks like JC Thrash, ASN 14099612..

post-179000-0-48961300-1541177217_thumb.jpg

post-179000-0-27458000-1541177235_thumb.jpg

post-179000-0-55790800-1541177261_thumb.jpg

Well, my sister and I received our dads gear in good order a couple of days ago.. Here are a couple pictures she sent me of markings in the musette bag and on the web belt.. Any help identifying the manufacturer or other help with what the marking might mean is appreciated... Also the duffle bag had another name and ASN stenciled on it.. The stencil is very faint and the best I can make out it looks like JC Thrash, ASN 14099612..

Im very happy for you and your sister, its back where is belongs

Yours

Dean