M16 waterproof storage bags.

the whisky drinker

the whisky drinker

Hi guys,

I have a question about the USGI waterproof storage bags manufactured for M16/AR15, the ones that come with the rubber band to seal the bag, and hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will confirm my query. I know that they were made, but were they issued to the troops in the 1960's and 1970's (Nam era)?

If the answer is yes, I can buy one or several that I've seen on Epay USA, I can then add them to my collection of weapon accessories for the M16.

Many thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Nick

post-159869-0-31326700-1539788751_thumb.jpg

the whisky drinker

Hi USARV72,

I don't see any FSN or Manufacturers name in the photos supplied by the Epay seller.

What should I be looking for? Any references to the maker or stock numbers to validate the bag, or would you think that as it doesn't have any, is this a sign that it may not be legit?

Nick

post-159869-0-44172800-1539795888_thumb.jpg

post-159869-0-37102500-1539795903.jpg

post-159869-0-63437800-1539795994_thumb.jpg

Just an observation, but the outline of the rifle appears to have round handguards and a 30-round mag. Maybe it's a later bag from around the time of the M16A2?

the whisky drinker

MattS,

Yes, I did notice that and thought that I would put it up for verification before I spend any $.

I remember reading somewhere that this type of plastic bag was used for the M16A1/Carbines in the 60's and 70's but for the life of me cannot remember where I read it ?

All help much appreciated.

Thanks

whiskey, same observation that MattS has, looks to be later. Unfortunately all my TMs and FMs are boxed,I’ll look and see if the RVN ones are easy to get into. Dont remember any such bags, wonder if more of a USMC item?

the whisky drinker

whiskey, same observation that MattS has, looks to be later. Unfortunately all my TMs and FMs are boxed,Ill look and see if the RVN ones are easy to get into. Dont remember any such bags, wonder if more of a USMC item?

Thank you for that, hopefully it may show up in the FM.

I'm wondering if you may have a good point with the USMC, I can remember reading that it was used to protect the rifle during river crossings and keeping it dry during wet weather??

Wish I new where I read it, bit frustrating.

From the 2010 Army -10 for M16s and M4s:

Expendable and Durable Items List item #11

1005-00-809-2190

Cover, Protective, Rifle

for M16 Series Rifles

(25 per box)

(19204) 8448213

the whisky drinker

Mohawk,

Thank you for the information, not the era that I was hoping for, however I think I might just get one anyway.

Thats what I love about USMF, I spent literally hours searching on the net for into about these to no avail, should have known that you guys would have sorted it all out within hours, thank you all for all the help.

Nick.