WWI USMC Good Conduct Number

copper252

Hello, I acquired a USMC Good Conduct medal in a WWII 2nd Marine Division veteran trunk grouping. It is WWI style and numbered 25013. I am assuming it was awarded to a family member or friend. Could this medal be identified from the number?

-Seth

Kurt Barickman

If you have the name from the group, when you request the file from NRPC, sometimes the rim number will be in the file. Where did the vet fight during WWII with the 2nd USMC Division?

Kurt

If you have the name from the group, when you request the file from NRPC, sometimes the rim number will be in the file. Where did the vet fight during WWII with the 2nd USMC Division?

Kurt

He was H&S, 4th BN, 10th Marines. His obituary says Guadalcanal and Tarawa, but he only has one ribbon star on the Asiatic Pacific Ribbon. There is also pictures of his time in New Zealand. He was then sent back to the US for V-12 program. I will be getting his records on Friday.

-Seth

Hello,

Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I. They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions. To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent. These medals were impressed with "No." prefixed numbers between 20,000 and 70,000. There are examples were the number was engraved rather than impressed. They were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box lid.

I have a small list of WWI Marine Good Conduct Medal recipients. The list accounts for about 1,433 of the 50,000 numbered medals issued to Marines after the war. Unfortunately your medal, No. 25013, is not on the list.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

What was the name of the WWII Marine? - Sometimes in ancestry you can track down a Father or Uncle by cross referencing the Census Records and checking against the Marine Corps Muster Rolls - However based on statistical data the Marine awarded No. 25013 Enlisted between May to July 1917.

Bill

What was the name of the WWII Marine? - Sometimes in ancestry you can track down a Father or Uncle by cross referencing the Census Records and checking against the Marine Corps Muster Rolls - However based on statistical data the Marine awarded No. 25013 Enlisted between May to July 1917.

Bill

+1 Bill

Over pay/underpay its part of the process and it all works out in the end.Its all about buying what you like.

Hello,

Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I. They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions. To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent. These medals were impressed with "No." prefixed numbers between 20,000 and 70,000. There are examples were the number was engraved rather than impressed. They were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box lid.

I have a small list of WWI Marine Good Conduct Medal recipients. The list accounts for about 1,433 of the 50,000 numbered medals issued to Marines after the war. Unfortunately your medal, No. 25013, is not on the list.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

+1

• 2 years later...
BANGMilitaria
On 10/17/2018 at 2:53 PM, Bruce Linz said:

Hello,

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Hello! Is there any chance you could look for a certain number for me? I'm looking to find out who was issued the GCM numbered 44443. Have a great day!

• 5 months later...

Sadly, your good conduct medal is not on the list.  My guess is the Marine would have enlisted during the first two weeks of May 1918.  Can you tell me the name and enlistment date on the dog tag.  Thanks.

Bruce

9 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Found No. 42326 possibly with the Marines Dog tag but wanted to see if it was on any off the lists?

Thanks!

Mr. Jerry,

While the number doesn't fall on the list of known issues, you will find that when you check the marine's records, that the number on the Good Conduct and other early campaign medals is often recorded there. You've got a huge leg up on this medal by having the dog tag. Eventually, you ought to be able to get the marine's file.

Allan

Here is some information on this Marine:

Name:  William Ray Snively

Service Number:  117610

Enlisted:  20 May 1918

Discharged:  04 April 1919

Born:  05 December 1896 in Pennsylvania

Died:  17 March 1976 in New Jersey

Find A Grave:  197586740

Jerry - Snivley enlisted in May 1918 which statistically speaking puts your GCM # within the May 1918 Enlistees. He was discharged in April 1919 and spent the bulk of his service in a clerical capacity at HQ USMC in Washington DC.

Again, NPRC research should verify the GCM #

Bill

• 1 year later...
Bruce Linz

Scott,

Unfortunately that medal is not on the list of recipients I have.  I do see it for sale on eBay.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Bruce Linz said:

Scott,

Unfortunately that medal is not on the list of recipients I have.  I do see it for sale on eBay.

Bruce

Thanks !

50446 sold on eBay in May of 2023 seller was "Jukeparts" (No info as to the recipient)

Bil