Iwo paramarine/ Korean War Group

mes

post-3978-0-01598700-1539731996.jpegpost-3978-0-81091900-1539732025.jpeg James Knauss was born 12-28-24 in Arkansas He enlisted in the marine corps 12-18-43 After recruit training He joined the marine paratroops Co B paramarine training at San Diego Cal After graduation he was assigned to Hq & S Co 1st parachute reg on 1-26- 44 With the disbanding of the paramarines James when to the 27th reg of the 5th marine division Wpns Co 2nd bn as a machine gunner and saw action on Iwo Jima from 2-19 to 3- 27 -45 and then on occupation duty in japan until 12-4-45 and returned to the states for discharge on Jan-7- 46 He returned to duty on 12- 30-47 and joined 12th amphibian tractor bn and when to Korea and participated in Inchon capture of Seoul Chosin campaign North Korea and south and central Korea for his service in ww2 and Korea he received the Bronze star Purple Heart good conduct medal Puc/star Asian Pacific/with star American campaign medal ww2 victory medal Korean service/4 stars navy occupation navy unit commendation Im still researching his records to complete his service there is a ton of more stuff with this group to go through yet

These are some super uniforms and it is great to see them displayed. One question- it appears that the ribbon bars are upside-down on the WWII blouse. If you have a photo of him wearing it incorrectly that way, I would probably leave it like that. Otherwise, I would honor his memory by reversing the ribbon bars and flipping the Nav Comm, GC, and PUC ribbon over to put them in the correct order.

Allan

Very nice grouping with a fantastic history. As for the ribbons, I would not touch them. I have had too many with ribbons out of order as per regs. Back then it was not an issue. They were not sticklers about them. If he put them there, I'd leave them there.

American Heritage

Congrats on this very special find. I didn't see the auction but WW2 Paramarine items are a bargain at any price.

The jump cert is a great document to have survived with the winged uniforms. Looks like the date on it is 9/11/43. I have a ParaMarine grouping to PFC Holec who graduated from Company B, Para Training School on 12/8/43 and then went to G Co. 2/26 with 5th MarDiv for the invasion of Iwo Jima. Interesting to compare the similarities in service of these two 5th MarDiv ParaMarines.

Here is the group of PFC Holec:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202892-kia-iwo-jima-pfc-frank-e-holec-usmc-r/

Hello all, I found this grouping about three years ago here in Sacramento. The grouping has been split up (there is a lot missing), the medals were not with the group when I bought it and have nothing to do with Knauss, the uniforms had no patches on them. Really a shame because the grouping was much better including two sets of dog tags(one early brass set) a fantastic photo album, helmet cover, etc. The wing and pins are original to the lot. What a shame! I know the seller and am surprised by his dishonesty, in fact he just called me yesterday wanting to buy more military stuff from me. I don't understand why he split the grouping up, I do know he added the medals to make more money, it was probably one of the best Paramarine groupings I have ever seen, too bad! If I were you I would ask for my money back or at least call him out on adding the medals and the shoulder patch to the uniform.

As a side note, when I went to look at this grouping it was still in the trunk, never messed with, she opened the trunk and there were five NOS camo helmet covers in the top tray. I should have kept this one, never in a million years would I think it would have been split up, destroyed the grouping for a few dollars more.

I recall some years ago a dealer in SC split up an ID'd 2nd Marine Div sniper grouping. I called him and tried my best to keep it together but he would not even consider my offer. I think his total take on ebay was about $100 short of my offer then he had to pay ebay and paypal fee's. It was sad. Like your grouping it was COMPLETE down to the socks.

Ive had a chance to talk to blitz67 the original owner of the group. It appears the bronze star and Purple Heart dont belong and 5th marine patch has be added. I will remove them from the group. While some items were removed. It is still an outstanding group. I have the majority of it and all the photos dog tags uniforms and paperwork. I chose to highlight the group and not photograph everything. Many thank to blitz67 for bring this to my attention Mark