AUSTRALIAN Mde 1st USMC Div Bloodied Jacket button help

nchistory

AUSTRALIAN Mde 1st USMC Div Jacket with Bloodied SSI on Right with hodgepodge of buttons belonging to William L. Adair, BS PH Peleliu. Which buttons are correct for this uniform?? Any ideas where to get replacements? Seems to have metal buttons down from that are hidden by front of coat. All help greatly appreciated.

post-153086-0-30210800-1539701827_thumb.jpg

The steel buttons are not original to the jacket. They used tan buttons that were plastic or bakelite. I no longer own one so I cannot check for sure which type of brown/tan button was used.

The steel buttons are not original to the jacket. They used tan buttons that were plastic or bakelite. I no longer own one so I cannot check for sure which type of brown/tan button was used.

Thanks for your response.

Hello mine are plastic like your tan ones, but the color on mine are a darker green, closer to the color of the coat, I beleve they used what was avaliable in Australia. You have a very nice jacket there with a killer patch!

The two small brass buttons in frame #6 are from 1930s era Marine trousers. No doubt sewn on by the original owner of this jacket. If I had this jacket I wouldn't replace any of the buttons. I think all the replacements are period done. Very nice jacket, by the way.

Steve

If thats a possibility Steve, then yes leaving it alone may be the best option. A collector trying to alleviate the issue of missing buttons, most likely wouldnt have used such a variety of buttons. So maybe period to the jacket.

Those grey steel buttons are also correct WW2 Australian buttons.

Thank you Aussie Digger, given other responses it all makes sense they are there. Thank you.