Finally found WW2 paratrooper uniform at flea market

Tonomachi

I bought this 11th Airborne Division Ike Jacket with slacks at the flea market last Friday for 100 dollars. It seemed to be complete and the seller told me that there was some documentation and a booklet identifying the paratrooper whom he said was a former deputy sheriff for the County of Shasta. He and his crew had come down with a truck load of stuff to sell and needed time to find the documentation which was buried in one of a number of boxes. I told him that I would come back on Sunday and hopefully he would come across the documentation. On Sunday he was still unable to find the documentation so I left him with my cell number and asked that he text me with the identify of the paratrooper once these documents were found. However I didn't expect these guys to ever contact me again as they had gotten their money already and seemed to be the type to not care about some pieces of paperwork that I felt were important.

post-1389-0-03392200-1539648931_thumb.jpg

I wasn't going to rely on the seller to contact me with the identify of this paratrooper so I had a laundry number of S9769. There were a couple of pages soldiers with this laundry number with six of them from California. I went through all six and of course it had to be the last solider that I looked into and bingo I found this obituary:

Clarence J. Strobel - Obituary

Sep. 24, 1924 - Apr. 16, 2018

Clarence J. Strobel died on April 16, 2018, at the age of 93. He was a husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather. Born to Christ and Amelia Strobel, Clarence was born and raised on a family farm in Lodi, Califonia. He had one brother, Robert Strobel (late Viola) and four sisters, Violet Knoll, (Arnold) Beverly Edalgo, (late Ralph) June Saylor (Clay) and the late Virginia Seibel (Don).

Clarence spent most his adult life living in Stockton, where he and his wife, Marian Murphy Strobel raised their two children, Lora and David. Clarence and Marian celebrated sixty-eight years of marriage on January 16, 2017, just one month before Marian's passing.

Clarence worked as a Construction Supervisor for various companies until retirement. He loved to spend his time on woodworking projects that he created from scratch. Many of his projects received numerous awards at County and State Fairs. He also enjoyed golfing, gardening, fishing, and watching basketball. He loved to travel the world with his wife and spend time with family and friends at his beach house in Aptos. He was generous, kind, and willing to help anyone in need. Clarence especially liked visiting the neighbors to share about each other's recent adventures or house projects.

Clarence was a proud Army veteran of World War II, where he served as a paratrooper and honor guard in the Philippines.
He was a member of Sons In Retirement (SIR), Carpenters Local Union 152, San Joaquin Historical Society, and participated in a WW II Veterans Breakfast Club.

He is survived by his daughter, Lora Sandman (late Sandy Sandman); son, David Strobel (late Claudia Strobel); and his grandchildren, Ryan Arbini (Karin) and Molly Bolognini (Jeff); three beautiful great grandchildren, Luke and Matteo Bolognini and Olivia Arbini; his brother and three sisters.

He is preceded in death by his wife, Marian Strobel, son-in-law, Art Sandman and daughter-in-law, Claudia Strobel. Also, his grandson, Scott Strobel and his sister, Virginia Seibel.

Private services are being held in his honor.

Published in The Record on April 29, 2018.

post-1389-0-68221400-1539649369_thumb.jpg

Congratulations that is a solid representation of an airborne uniform, now you just need to find a nice garrison cap to go with it. I would still hope for the guy to find the documentation and booklet because who knows what additional information might be in it.

Nice IKE, tood the ovals missing. I wonder if these people are relations, that last name is my mothers maiden name :lol: :D

I don't think the 188th had an oval during the war as they were originally glidertroopers and didn't become paratroopers until after the war during the occupation. I think the oval used by the post war 188th PIR didn't come out until the late 1940s or early 1950s so I think the uniform is correct for not having an oval.

I don't think the 188th had an oval during the war as they were originally glidertroopers and didn't become paratroopers until after the war during the occupation. I think the oval used by the post war 188th PIR didn't come out until the late 1940s or early 1950s so I think the uniform is correct for not having an oval.

Roger.

BILL THE PATCH

My dad was in the 188th glider Regt during the war. Any info on what battalion or co?. I have my dad's yard longs. Also another 11th abn book at home I'll check at lunch time. And yes the oval and DUIs came in 48 or 49.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

I found the same picture and I found as Sgt dorengo. Sorry nothing different.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

find anything out about him being a deputy sheriff? what town did you find it in?

I have no idea which town it was found in as the seller was from out of town. Based on the information in the obituary and what the seller told me my guess is that if this individual was a sheriff's deputy for Shasta County it was an auxiliary position and not a full time position.